Friendly competition/betting ideas needed

fruitloopy

Possibly off topic but a little bit of friday fun anyway.

There is a group of us going on a long fishing weekend soon and I would like to make it even more interesting for all of us.

I think some sort of betting or challenge for each day and/or over the whole weekend would make it fun but I am not sure what to suggest.

There are 5 of us in total, one of us has very little fishing experience or knowledge, another one has a bit more and the other three are moderately experienced.

1 of us is only sixteen and doesnt have much money so I was thinking of taking a kitty of £5 or £10 at the most.

So how shall we do this...daily challenges such as the first to catch over a 1lb? First to catch certain species? First to fall in?

Its got to be fair to the inexperienced anglers and not open to cheating.

Possibly off topic but a little bit of friday fun anyway.

There is a group of us going on a long fishing weekend soon and I would like to make it even more interesting for all of us.

I think some sort of betting or challenge for each day and/or over the whole weekend would make it fun but I am not sure what to suggest.

There are 5 of us in total, one of us has very little fishing experience or knowledge, another one has a bit more and the other three are moderately experienced.

1 of us is only sixteen and doesnt have much money so I was thinking of taking a kitty of £5 or £10 at the most.

So how shall we do this...daily challenges such as the first to catch over a 1lb? First to catch certain species? First to fall in?

Its got to be fair to the inexperienced anglers and not open to cheating.

Sounds fun! I like the 'smallest fish of the day' challenge myself :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

How about:

First to catch 'insert rare species (for your venue) here'.

Smallest fish

Best fish caught on a wacky bait (e.g. a flower or a bare hook)

Most fish

Fewest fish

Rich

Just had a thought:

In Top Gear they have a board with maybe 5 categories and each one scores points with a total at the end. The one with the most points wins.

So what categories?

A couple of sensible ones but fair to experienced and non experienced so I quite like the "Most species caught". As we could be separated by swims or even fishing on different lakes we cant allow some categories such as ones that are easy to cheat with.

So as a communal effort I'll start of the first category and we'll grow it from there:

1. Most species caught

But I also like "Best fish caught on a wacky bait" and could be set as a challenge with a short list of what qualifies as a wacky bait.

I suppose I could even leave the final category up to a poll

What about a Daily Points competition?

Using one or more of the following:

One point for the biggest fish caught each day.

One Point for the smallest fish caught each day.

One point for each different species caught per day.

One Point for catching anything at all each day.

One Point for the person who catches a fish on the wackiest bait per day (from a pre-determined agreed list).

One Point for the person if he catches on a bare hook during the day.

One Point for the person if nobody else catches the same species of fish on the day.

One Point for buying the first round on the day.

One Point for buying the last round on the day.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

• 2 weeks later...

I am back from holiday now and I had a good think about this while I was there.

I just wanted to share what I have put together in case anyone else wants to have a go:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Each participant puts in £10 to the kitty

There are six daily categories and points are awarded and taken away.

1. Heaviest fish caught - 1 point per pound in weight

2. Number of fish caught - 1 point per fish

3. Number of individual species caught - 1 point for each species

4. Have you caught a unique species - 5 bonus points if no-one else has caught one of the species you have caught

5. Lost tackle - 3 points deducted for every incident of lost tackle - up a tree, in reeds, runaway carp, etc

6. Talking bo***cks - 5 points deducted for talking utter crap which will be voted by all participants

There will also be a 7th secret category which someone who isnt taking part decides upon, you could even put this into an sealed envelope to be opened when adding up the points. I have asked the wives & girlfriends to come up with these secret categories and I have directed them to this webpage for ideas!

We will be having 5 participants so the top 3 scorers of the day can sit back and relax while the bottom two become servants, they will be cooking the BBQ and washing up, or waiting on us at the pub.

On Sunday night all the points will be totalled and the winner receives the kitty. Total loser can get a booby prize.

Rules

- All claims MUST be verifiable by either a witness and/or a camera. If you have a witness to vouch for the weight then just take a picture of the fish, if you don’t have a witness for the weight then the picture will have to include the weight shown on the scales, so in other words take the picture of the fish while you are weighing it.

- If your line snaps then you have lost tackle, end of story. You will lose 3 points for every time this happens and not for every item lost.

- Any fish under a pound does not need weight recording or verified, just a record kept of the catch

Requirements

- £10 from each person for the kitty

- Keep a diary/record of each fish you catch and every incidence of tackle you lose.

- Make a note of anything specific or unusual such as how you caught a fish, an usual bait or tactic or anything else out of the ordinary as this may contribute to a secret category.

As we have two inexperienced anglers I was considering starting them off with 5 points per day extra.

Have a look at the chart I put together and copy it if you like. This was done in Excel so I can email a copy to you if you wish.

Chart

I also made up some data to give the chart a test:

Example data

Any other suggestions are welcome and many thanks for the ones I already have.

I'd vary the points ie i would go for little roach and gudgeon on a whip at a point per fish even if my mate gets a 20lb carp i only have to get 20 little roach. so say 5 points per pound also i'd set a bonus for a full house of species the venue holds rather than just the individual.

as for the last one i hope you aint got a commitee man there or an ex bailiff

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.