AA / AAA vs. Li-ion

Andy_1984

been on the look out for a new camera recently and theres a few that i really like but use either AA or AAA batteries. from experience of my previous cameras the AA / AAA batteries haven't lasted as long as the rechargable Li-ion ones that i have used.

i dont want to shell out £100 on a camera and find out the AA's are rubbish.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

AA/AAA batteries have there pros's and con's the first being that there charge is not as long as Li-ion, however there is many up sides. First if you run out in the field the nearest corner shop sell then, the other for me and most important is that the progression from rechargeable is hybrio same as the rechargeable battery except that after charge they will keep up to 80% of the charge for up to a year, so you can always be confident that the replacement you carry will function when placed in the camera.

I shot digital and film Nikon camera's and were possible buy the add-on battery grip for the AA batteries.

So my vote is YES.

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Andy i would tend to stick with the camera makers recommendation.

Cheers Fred

sorry some of the cameras i was considering have li-ion and others i like take AA/AAA. wanted to know pros and cons as medwaygreen said when i make my choice in camera purchase.

AA/AAA batteries have there pros's and con's the first being that there charge is not as long as Li-ion, however there is many up sides. First if you run out in the field the nearest corner shop sell then, the other for me and most important is that the progression from rechargeable is hybrio same as the rechargeable battery except that after charge they will keep up to 80% of the charge for up to a year, so you can always be confident that the replacement you carry will function when placed in the camera.

I shot digital and film Nikon camera's and were possible buy the add-on battery grip for the AA batteries.

So my vote is YES.

if i were to buy the camera that takes AA's what rechargeable AA's would you recommend ?. those hybrio ones look better as a backup battery but i would rather sacrifice slow discharge for longer lasting batteries while camera is in use.

ive always liked li-ion (square types in most modern cameras) my older camera would last only a fishing session before the aa's ran out where as the offices li-ion would take days before it ran out.

this is one of my choices of cameras that takes AA: http://direct.asda.com/Fujifilm-12.2Mp-S17...default,pd.html

thanks for your help medway its put me more at ease about purchasing a cam that takes AA

Edited by Andy_1984

I've been using Uniross hybrio for a few years now Andy, (ever since Leon recommended them on here), and have had no problems with them running out. Although I always have 4 spare in my camera case.

I don't get to take many pics now, but the ones I've got in the camera at present, have taken around 80-100 pics over the last 5-6 months, and are still going strong.

I have tried other brands of 'hybrio' batteries, but not found them as good as the ones by Uniross.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

You cannot go wrong with Uniross and have a look here first, if you want to buy Fuji the refurbished and guaranteed camera,s are the best value I know.

https://secure.fujifilm.co.uk/shop/consumer...ameras/view-all

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

You cannot go wrong with Uniross and have a look here first, if you want to buy Fuji the refurbished and guaranteed camera,s are the best value I know.

https://secure.fujifilm.co.uk/shop/consumer...ameras/view-all

excellent site medway thanks, ill be getting from there for sure as i spied some others there i had my eye on but was a tad too pricey.

ive used a lot of fujis cameras and have always been pleased with them

The only slight disadvantage with AA's is that the camera is a bit more bulky. The charge holding of AA rechargeables varies a lot, so you have to be careful not to just choose the cheapest. The big advantage is that because they are MUCH cheaper than camera batteries you can always have spares on charge or in your pocket.

The only reason I won't have a camera that uses them because they fit my kids' Wii controllers!

Edited by ColinW