a numpty asks about expanders

darrreng

Thanks for the helpful replies!

I had though of supergluing them to the hook, but will use that as a last resort. When using small pellets and smaller hooks, I can see me glueing my fingers together or something!!

Expanders sound a bit tricky to use, but if theres a bit of air in them sounds like they might sink nice and slowly?

[ 05. October 2005, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: darrreng ]

I had though of supergluing them to the hook, but will use that as a last resort. When using small pellets and smaller hooks, I can see me glueing my fingers together or something!!

Two of us were out supergluing pellets on a mildy rocking boat yesterday without gluing ourselves to anything else. Gluing directly to a hook is very simple if you're prepared. Use brush on glue rather than squeeze on glue...its easier and safer. Lay the pellet on a flat surface...bait box top. Brush a dab of glue on the pellet top...put glue away... press hook shank into pellet... count to ten...blow on pellet .. ready to fish. That easy.

Knowng how durable the pellet will be, its even easier to glue up 4 or 5 hooks/pellets at home. Since you're not using a hair rig, its just a matter of a few seconds to tie on the baited hooks as you need them.

[ 05. October 2005, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Newt:

John S - this stuff will for sure hold a pellet on the hook for the cast and for as long as the pellet stays intact.

Looks like good stuff Newt, if I could get hold of some of that, no insect would be safe :rolleyes:Posted Image

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

It is good John. Not sure exactly how they make the stuff but it is amazing. I've used live crickets and meal worms and they stay on fine.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I've used mealworms a few times, hooking them as I would a maggot (for the uninitiated, they look like giant maggots but with a tougher skin, making them more resistant to the attentions of small roach etc).

I guess the nearest we have is Kryston Bogey (thankes four the spelin leson Geffaz ). As I said, I haven't used the stuff, but thought it would work for pellets as well as seeds. Okay, I'll admit to the second mistake in my life - the first was saying to Elton "Of course I'll help moderate your forums. They won't cause any trouble at all surely!" :rolleyes:

I think I'm going to have to order some of that baitstick stuff though....

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

lol yeah it looks like i was being perdantic with the BOGEY! sorry mate wasnt ment like that!

;-]

geffaz:

lol yeah it looks like i was being perdantic with the BOGEY! sorry mate wasnt ment like that!

geffaz - the number of times you'll ever be able to correct John S is so very small that I suggest you

- do it whenever possible and on the slightest pretext.

- enjoy it to the fullest when you do it.

That's been my approach over the years and I do highly recommend it. :D:D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

LOL OK THEN!

john s! thats bogey u noddy now go back to school! lol