fishing a small stream

craig mason

Blimey. that's small!

You could try an Ondex, in a size 3 or smaller if you can get it. It's a blade spinner, resembling a Mepps strongly. I've had a lot of lick with small perch and chub this season using a gold one. I also have a silver one, but this hasn't done so well for some reason.

Rapala do some lovely small plugs, which would be worth a go. They do tend to hook up in the weed a bit, so be patient. Another option I would reccomend, would be small devon minnows, as used for trout spinning. If you look around, you'll be able to get some down to 1" long. They're great!

Why not try a large lobworm on a single hook? You can flick it downstream like a lure, then twitch it slowly back towards you. This works well.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

I should add, that I'm reccomending small lures, not because I would expect small fish. Even tiny streams such as you describe, can hold big Chub and Perch. I fish the Medly Brook near oxford, where sometimes it's about 4' wide and 6" deep. I've had two 4lb Chub there this season.

The reason I'd say use small lures, is because of the normal size of the prey fish, which are normally minnows.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Serious casting skills are called for by the sounds of it.......go for it!

Paul