Perch

phil dean

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Koi Carp:

Go with the lobworms! A dead fish has no movement as although it will catch, a big fat wiggling worm will do better on most occasions. Perch rely mostly on sight to target food. I once caught a perch on a ball of cheese paste but after many hours. When i switched to worms i found there was a big shoal in my swim. Static baits just dont get that attack that perch are famous for.

Good luck

You're thinking along the right lines when you say that perch are mainly sight feeders. Logically, you'd expect worms to be more successful than deadbaits, wouldn't you? However, this is a good example of theory and practice not co-inciding, and I don't agree that worms will outscore inert offerings like deadbaits "on most occasions".

Preferences will not only vary from day to day, but in particular from water to water. For instance, on coloured venues I normally do better with lives and deadbaits, with worms often well behind. Indeed, on one commercial I've fished a lot, worms are very much second rate!

On the other hand, on clear waters I've often done much better on worms. Indeed, at the pit where I did a TV programme a few years ago worms have always been by far the best bait, with livebaits (now banned there) and deadbaits catching very few perch. This is despite fishing where an absolutely huge shoal of fry is almost permanently stationed every winter!

In other words there's no "best" bait for perch, rather it's horses for courses, and so there's a need to experiment. I go into big perch baits in a lot more detail in one of the articles I referred to above at http://anglers-net.co.uk/authors/steve10.htm

In fact, it includes an analysis of the data in "The Book of the Perch" of the records of all 3lb+ perch reported to the angling press from 1900-1988. The total sample size is over 1500, which is thus big enough to give meaningful results.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

NigelT:

"Over regulated fishery" too true, too true.

Lobs it is then Phil, if they don't ban them aswell.

You're just stirring nigel.

I'll just throw another grenade in, away from the club thread to avoid links.....

Are swan mussells a protected species as I've heard they're a good perch bait but always thought they were protected.

I was laughed at when I mentioned it on here last year (or maybe the year before) but someone else I know has said the same thing.....if it is protected, how do people know they're a good bait?

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

BIG lobs are the best alternative to live baits. However to get the best results from them inject them with air so that they pop up 4 or five inches off bottom. Double lob on a size 4 micro barbed hook is a killing bait for big perch. Introduce some chopped lobs around the hook bait along with plenty of red maggots. Fish tight to features that offer hunting perch cover to ambush thier prey.

Alan.

Phil,

I think description of swan mussels was that they worked on one particular water (after pre-baiting, which is probably banned aswell).

As for stirring things up - never.

[ 08. January 2004, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: NigelT ]

Well I'll be honest Phil,

I think that Markie on our site might have it wrong about the Swans being protected.

I've asked him to find the link he posted and PM it to me, but I'm having doubts.

So, as long as the water doesn't get trashed by members' efforts to get hold of swans, it might yet be an option.

Must admit, I'm keen to have a go myself - although I expect to catch more tench and carp than perch! :D

Keith

Blyth

Northumberland

http://www.northeastangler.co.uk

Keith,

I've got knowt else to do at the minute. Hope I don't get banned before I join :D

I'm not sure about the swan muscle thing, in fact I'm not even sure how good a bait they are fullstop. It was just a suggestion based on a few decent fish during a couple of seasons.