Angling alert over fast-breeding invader

A FISH which has caused havoc in the United States had turned up in an East Yorkshire fishing pond.

The 30lb silver carp was hooked by angler Chris Johnson at Greaves End near Eastrington. It was returned to the water but later died, apparently of stress. Anglers are being warned to alert the pond’s owner if any more appear.

The fast-breeding fish are said to have caused hundreds of millions of pounds of damage in the US to fish stocks and waterways after being introduced from China 30 years ago.

It is thought the fish came to be in the pond when an ornamental pool was extended two decades ago by the previous owner.

Owner Darren Cole, who sent samples of the dead fish to the Environment Agency, is convinced it’s a one-off.

The pond isn’t connected to a waterway and Gareth Davies, of the Environment Agency, said it hadn’t had the right conditions to spawn.

“It was introduced in waters outside the UK to control algae.

“They do the job too well and can get rid of it totally, which leads to problems for other fish in the water.”

yorkshirepost.co.uk

Making the most of it

Chi dorme non piglia pesci

From that I gather the fish was killed. A bit of common sense at last.

John.

More, more, more!..............dead carp of any kind that is (except of course lovely cuddly fluffy crucians) B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!