Lure Fishing For Perch

macdaddymac

for perch chub or trout i swear by the abu droppen lures (though hard to get hold of now) use ultra lite tackle 3 lb line(for perch)look for fry scattering and you will find your perch failing that feeder stream mouths are allways a good place to start. good luck

y.i.s

kanny

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve

On aforementioned puddle. There are very large quantities of small Rudd. Once when I was fishing for Tench there, I decided to try and feed them off, but only succeeded in attracting even more of them. The water then proceeded to almost erupt as the Rudd were attacked by what I assume were the Perch attracted to the large shoal.

Bearing that in mind I was wondering about taking some liquidised bread along with me, and progressively feeding up a couple of areas and keeping them back as my banker spots for dusk.

Is this something you have tried and would you recommend it?

Yes, that's good thinking! I've done this myself a lot in the past.

However these days I tend to use maggots more often. This is partly because groundbait of any kind is banned on many of my local waters. Secondly, by using maggots I can concentrate the perch on the bottom and so have to find them in only 2 dimensions rather than three.

Having said that there are days when I'd love to be able to feed bread, especially in shallow waters.

One tip I would give you is to present at least one perch bait some 10 to 20 feet away from where you're feeding the rudd. The bigger perch in particular seem to hang back from the shoal of small fry and pick off the stragglers.

Good luck! I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

As an alternative to bread, I'd suggest giving a try at a cattle feed supplement called (over here at least) a Range Cube.

Extruded and very hard piece of feed made of a variety of veggie protein sources with a binder of molasses. About 3/4 inches on a side (the rectangular ones) or round but a similar size. Broken into irregular pieces about 1/2 to 1 inch in length. Cheap here at about $6 per 50lb or $140 per ton (if you don't need bags).

They sink and once in the water start to shed their outer layer. Little molasses flavoured veggie bits. The center stays very firm until near the very end. And in water the temperatures you folks see, should take about 1-3 hours for a cube to completely disolve.

The only problem you might have is carp. They seem to love the things and a number of us have started using them as loose feed and as hook bait.

For more detail, you can take a look Here and Here .

If you'd like to read a trip report I wrote that has info about using them, try Here .

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President