caerphilly castle

eelboyslim

Hi,i wondered if anyone has fished or has details on fishing the moat of Caerphilly castle? I know it is spring fed and I assume it has been in existence since the castle was built but I don't know what species are in there and if there are any monsters lurking there.

Cheers ,eelboyslim :)

25-acre complex of military water defenses. Almost totally free of surface weed and fed by a tributary of the River Rhymney, the several lakes and moats on different levels can be of varying colour dependent on rainfall - either state is suitable for successful fishing. Most sections of bank are convenient though the large section to the north and the smaller moat on the east are perhaps the best, being away from the road and nicely grassed. The west bank adjoining the town centre provides excellent catches too, but a popular footpath for tourists runs most of the way alongside. Recent dredging to an average of just over 8ft should go a long way to further improving the rapidly increasing head of carp and tench without adversely affecting the main quarry at this venue - pike and bream. Large pike can turn up just about anywhere and reach 27lbs with plenty over 14lbs, while both silver and bronze bream up to 4lbs can provide very heavy catches. The castle ruins are a popular tourist “must” and the water is best visited on weekdays during the Summer months, though wintertime usually produces the heaviest bags of quality pike. Roach and perch are plentiful

just looking through the net and theres carp over 20lb

just found this to

TACTICS

Mainly a feeder water for the bream, tench, and skimmers. though pole works well for roach bags of 20lbs or more. the main method for the bigger bream and tench and also the carp is the method feeder with a hair rigged pellot. fish meal groundbait works best.

[ 20. September 2005, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: edd ]

Edd cheers thanks for the info. i got the blurb from the net about five minutes after posting the question but thanks for doing the searching. Thanks for the info on tactics as well. Next time i am visiting relatives in Wales i will have to have a dangle. Thanks again for the info. :):)

• 3 years later...

hi

There is alot of pike in there if you enjoy pike fishing this is a nice place to do it. They dont seem to bother match fisherman that much and are only usally found in certain parts. You can get bothered buy alot of locals walking dogs etc especially during the summer months. Day permits are available from tonys tackle opposite the castle ( a 2 minute walk. There is plenty of parking on castle street again only a 2 minute walk. A few good bags have been caught there recentlyey of mainly bream and tench. Easy fishing venue great fun for all. Well stocked and a good few double figure species there too.

]

If you haven,t fished it yet then i would recommend it. If you want just let me know and i will meet up with you and show you some of the better fishing spots. i live in caerphilly my self so this is a regular fishing venue for me.

If you wana meet up then just email at my email address below.

daniel.milburn@sky.com

Hi Daniel and welcome to Anglers Net.

That's a nice offer but the original question was from 2005 and eelboyslim hasn't been around since then.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President