Impact of leisure fishing

Perhaps the marine managers can have a read of some of this or they will end up with conservation paranoia. Trying to sort out the link from where it came from at the mo.

Marine reserves are about (not) fishing. Scientists claim that reserves benefit fisheries and fishes. So fishing cannot be taken out of the equation. It is an essential part of the debate. Nobody at Forest & Bird will be affected by a fishing closure, but fishermen will. So it is only fair to listen to what they have to say.

Recreational line fishing, and not just commercial fishing; can have significant impacts on fish populations. Recent research at the Poor Knights Marine Reserve has shown that three reef species known to be targeted by recreational fishers, snapper, tarakihi and pink maomao, increased in density by 302%, 101% and 129%, respectively, after one year of complete protection from all fishing.

What this research also shows is that these fish have arrived from outside the reserve because they could not possibly have grown from larvae in the course of one year. It shows that the fish caught in the reserve are in fact migrant and that the fish will come and go and that the marine reserve does not protect them. It must also be noted that the research was done in the warm 'good' years of La Niña type, when fish densities are higher than in other years.

The Marine Reserves Bill is important for expanding the network of marine reserves and bringing the legislation into the 21st century. For example, the current Act prevents consideration of the conservation of seabirds when proposing or assessing a marine reserve application. The Bill allows all marine life to be considered.

The Bill has only one page relating to the environment. Over 80 pages are devoted to policy and enforcement. All sea birds are sufficiently protected by other means. Where they are threatened by fishing, methods can be improved as is already done. Where an intertidal zone needs protecting, a number of other options are open. The more important matter often overlooked, is that the Marine Reserves Act is completely unnecessary and superfluous. It has always been a costly mistake, since all manners of marine protection are already provided for in the Fisheries Act which can even protect sea birds and sea mammals.

http://www.seafriends.org.nz/issues/cons/myths6.htm#mpa48-1

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

barry L,

I casually read Leon's post. Really, not much of a read for me since I am on the other side of the pond and about 1000 miles from the nearest saltwater. Still, I care - overall.

Then I read your post

Are you a bureaucrat or perhaps just kinfolk to Phone? I can write like that. I re-read your post 5 times. Did you say something that I missed?

"Scientists claim that reserves benefit fisheries and fishes". Really?

Phone

barry L,

I casually read Leon's post. Really, not much of a read for me since I am on the other side of the pond and about 1000 miles from the nearest saltwater. Still, I care - overall.

Then I read your post

Are you a bureaucrat or perhaps just kinfolk to Phone? I can write like that. I re-read your post 5 times. Did you say something that I missed?

"Scientists claim that reserves benefit fisheries and fishes". Really?

Phone

Hello phone, some might use a few of the letters, deduct bureau and substitute the 'c' with a p, i'm sure one or two greenie phyco's will use that to describe me, botherd, na. :D

No i didn't write it, i could have i suppose, it was a quote from the link. So sorry to mislead. You sound just like an older version of me though. :lol:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Thursday 1 September 2011: indoor workshop

Impact of leisure fishing - Working together in Europe

Dealing with the impact of leisure fishing in marine & coastal protected

areas.

http://www.eurosite.org/files/2011-07-22_P...e_Marine_EN.pdf

http://www.eurosite.org/en-UK/content/2nd-...-areas-workshop

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust