canal rod

John Weddup

A friend of mine lean't me an 11ft canal rod to try on a streamy section of our river.

This is ideal with the recently purchased abu 1044 off ebay. I use them whilst in the river with waders. The length is ideal as any longer would have me in the tree's.

I like the light action that bends to the butt when larger fish are encountered.

I do not like borrowing things and would dearly like to buy a rod the same or similar but do not see any advertised on ebay or in tackle shop adverts. I have emailed a couple of large mailorder advertisers with no reply.They either don't have any and cannot be bothered to reply or don't read their email.

The rod I am using is a silstar canal 330. It is brilliant apart from no screw reel fittings.

It bends beautifully with small roach and dace but still handles the chub when they come along. the good thing is you can use really light hooklengths when water is clear.

Any help or advice as usual is wellcome.

As you can see by reel purchase your advice is followed.

thanks

john

I cant help you that much but I have got a similar rod from Silstar called the Traditional light line. Great for the small stuff but still some power there for a larger fish. Largest I have caught on it was a 15lb carp. If I hear of anything I will let you know.

Hello John

Cant help you with a silstar, just keep a lookout on ebay.

I was reading this months match angler and shakespeare has a new range of rods out called superteam LXL which may suit you.

The rods are dual length and theres three in the range, 12'/16', 13'/17' and 14'/18'.

The clever thing about the rods is instead of a dolly but to up the length, the rods have two different handles.

This is supposed to improve the action of the rods

and stop the loss off performance which can result from the use of a dolly but.

Anyway I thought the 12' mode may suit your needs. Gary

Harrison still do one also. As I've mentioned before, feather light and delightful to fish with, but in my experience fragile.

Quite possible they've ironed that fault out now. I had two tips fail at the splice, but it was more than ten years ago.