HYDRO ELASTIC

MARKYMARK

Can't help you with the hydro elastic but do have a request.

Typing in ALL CAPS on the internet (forum, email, etc.) is considered the same as shouting in spoken conversation. And the typeface is much harder to read - especially if you are older.

So please take your Caps Lock off and use normal case for your posts. Save the ALL CAPS stuff for when you want to yell.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt, perhaps he was shouting so people across the pond (like yourself) could hear him. :D

cheers,

rich

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

Guest pholt_uk

Marky Mark,

Firstly you will get better reponses and answers to your questions if you dont use CAPS.

As for hydro i personally am not the biggest fan. I find there is too much stretch and it makes it difficult to land fish without a lot of pole up in the air. Others - including a large proportion of the top match anglers - think its the business and have probably tuned their style of playing and landing fish quickly to this type of laggy.

The main advantage with hydro is that it's progressive and will on the strike behave like a light elastic but after some stretch will behave more like a heavier elastic enabling small and large fish to be played effectively on the same elastic.

I use the white hydro which is rated 6-10 (i think) and is perfect for the crucian fishing as it doesnt bump the crucians on the strike but enables me to (eventually) land the odd rouge carp that turns up when fishing this way. If I used a traditional 12 or a 14 elastic i would probably bump a few crucians off on the strike but be able to land the bigger carp or if I used a traditional 6 or 8 laggy the set-up would be perfect for the crucians but impossible to land any big carp.

In my opinion the best elastic for general carp fishing on the pole is the preston 12 stepping up to a 14 or 16 if the carp are 8lb+. Give it a go if the Hydro isnt working.

Paul

Try and be more aggresive.

Ship back in a nice smooth manner to the section you think you need to land the fish on.

As you unship the section whip the top 3 or 4 up into the air.

This sudden stretch of elastic pulls the fish very quickley to the surface.

You need to land it straight away with no messing before it realises what has happened.

If not it will dive and run. Then you have to start again.

Sounds scary, I thought so to.

When I had the rollocks to try it I have landed fish with ease.

Dont worry about your pole as if it is balance (line, elastic, hook, hooklength) it will not break.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Guest pholt_uk

Totally agree Rudd. Its a method that needs some practice but when you get it right fish are landed very quickly and you end up applying less pressure on the fish than fighting it for a long with the pole in the air. You've got to get them on the first lift though else they tend to go a bit loopy

SAMTENCH:

RUDD and paul does that method not harm the fish, maybe it is quicker but it has too be more stressful!!

if the elastic stretches too far dont use as much in the pole, jst rig up 2 sections of elastic or 2 1/2.

I dont think it is as stressful at all.

Why play a fish for 5-6mins when you can land it in 1-2mins.

The longer you play a fish the more tired it gets.

As for having shorter elastic what are you on about?

The more elastic you have in your pole, the more elastic a fish has to run against which helps slow it down (thats why maver invented the muletto so carp pole anglers had double the amount of elastic for big fish to (stretch) run against).

Remember you can land a fish using any section of the pole (not just top 2 / 3).

I have landed an 11lb carp on a 4 elastic (roach fishing) using my number 7 section!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!