re- begining

dave_H1

While being away from fishing for a while i was thinking about starting up again. I still have all my old tackle etc. Was just wondering what type of coarse fish are a good target for a beginer? also what methods etc.

Thanks

Hi Dave.

Welcome to A.N.

You don't say what area you are in, the locals would be of some help, and the species of fish will have a bearing on the method and tackle required.

Give us a little more info, and someone will come up for you.

OLD TACKLE ,I do'nt know how old it is but, can I just remind you that lead under size 8 is now illegal, so if you have some get rid of it, in a proper manner of course.

Nugg means that lead shot heavier than size 8 is illegal. Lead ledger weights of 1oz and under are also illegal.

Obviously Dave's gear is fine, but the above is for the benefit of others.

I'd suggest you go to a commercial stillwater if you have one nearby. Failing that a farm pond would be a good bet. Both are likely to be heavilly stocked and thus not too difficult to get you restarted.

If you float fish with maggots you could catch any species. The key on these waters is to get your feeding right. On the vast majority of days you'll find feeding little and very often the best bet.

Good luck! And don't forget to let us know how you get on!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve Burke:

Nugg means that lead shot heavier than size 8 is illegal.  

Nooooooooo :mad:

Nugg meant that lead shot UNDER [smaller] than a size 8, 0.06 gramms up to 26.5gramms is illigal. To sell it or use it in the U.K.is against the law, but it can still be bought abraord in places like France.

On second thoughts you could be meaning the same thing. Sorry

[ 27. May 2003, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

Your tackle should be fine.

I would suggest you change all of your reel lines and buy new hooks as the old ones may of rusted and the old lines would of deteriated and become weak or brittle.

If in doubt about your weights - chuck em and get new ones.

ALSO

check your landing and keepnets (if used) as there are new laws and the type and size of mesh and the size of keepnets.

AND

Make sure you buy a licence.

Failure to do all of the above could cause harm to the fish AND your bank balance if caught by the EA breaking laws and bye laws!!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!