Big mouth barbel?

Ed Matysiak

I just bought some of them Partridge loaded hooks as when the new season start im going after some big barbel. I bought size 4 which looks a bit big. I will be using lumps of cheese paste and lumps of meat as bait. I was just wondering how big a bait a barbel can take? Some people say they have very large mouths but the look small compared to chubs and other species??

P.S. I will be free lining and im after an 8 lber!

Guest pholt_uk

Matt Hayes caught one on the TV the other day with what looked like HALF A TIN of meat on the hook.

I also caught a 6lb barble from Makins last week with a piece of paste the size of a golf ball but I was really aiming for the carp (didnt realise there were barbel present)

I guess a better question is what is the optimum bait size for barbel of that size as they seem to eat any size bait if they're hungry.

Paul