How long does it take for a pike to die?

Peter Waller

About two and a half months :mad:

Every year, at about this time, either myself or a friend find dead pike in the reeds. Some we have opened up to find deadbait rigs in the stomach walls, the probable cause of death. Some two to three months after the end of the season.

Over the last three weeks we have found an 18 pounder, a 17 pounder and one that was 49 inches long, nose to fork in tail. Unlike the other two she was too far gone to recognise but must have been around 35lbs. And inevitably there was a rig in her. That's three thirties that we have lost in the last three years. One we have just found dead, one hasn't been seen for two years and one was killed and taken away in the boot of a car.

The appallingly low standards of bite detection, the use of more rods than can be attended too, the have a nap anglers, the attitudes of the 'self hooking' fraternity, all these factors take their toll, and what a toll:mad: .

[ 30. May 2003, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with all you say Peter, pike are killed through ignorence. The PAC tries to educate anglers but of course, most anglers do not read weekly angling press or log onto this web site.

Therefore concerned pike anglers like yourself have to look at educating anglers through other media on a local level, posters, leaflets in local tackle shops, giving talks at local angling clubs, anything that promotes the message of conservation. Serious pike anglers must be proactive. I have seen lots of pike killed needlesly but I speak my mind to those responsible and to clubs and at consultative level. Where consevation issues are relevant I do not care who I upset.

Brian Crawford

Please help conserve the European Freshwater eel

- return all eels alive to the water.

- Join the European Eel Anglers Association

Agree about the poor standards of bite detection and am equally appauled about the number of rigs found in these fish, but I think the cause of death is more likely to be spawning related if you regularly find them at this time of year. Most waters loose a few pike each year during the spawning process.

Tim

I always thought pike spawned no later than March :confused:

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Brian Crawford:

Therefore concerned pike anglers like yourself have to look at educating anglers through other media on a local level, posters, leaflets in local tackle shops, giving talks at local angling clubs, anything that promotes the message of conservation.  Serious pike anglers must be proactive.  

The PAC produce an excellent booklet, details here:

http://freespace.virgin.net/vicky.mark/pub...tions.html#piyw

A PDF version can be downloaded from:

http://freespace.virgin.net/vicky.mark/pdf...nyourwaters.pdf

Tight Lines - leon

(see also: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/leon14.htm)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Tim Kelly:

Agree about the poor standards of bite detection and am equally appauled about the number of rigs found in these fish, but I think the cause of death is more likely to be spawning related if you regularly find them at this time of year. Most waters loose a few pike each year during the spawning process.

Hi Tim, at one time I thought just like you on this one. But I am not so sure now. As Peter S says, pike spawn no later than March. Talking to other local pikers there does seem to be a mood swing away from the spawning theory.

There is no question that a great many summer carpers chase pike after Xmas whilst the pike are at their biggest and carp at their hardest. I think it was Nev Fickling that once said that SOME carpers can't get over the culture shock of having to watch for bites and actually striking.

Then there are just plain bad pikers. By bad pikers I mean the brain-dead-bait brigade who sling their deadbaits out and then turn their brains off. These guys are probably 75% of the problem.

Interestingly I have never found a lure in a pike's gut! Tight halo's for the lure angling fraternity?

As I understand things, LP, pike have finished spawning by the early part of March, but I stand to be corrected, as ever!

But what intrigues me is your statement that pike die if they can't lay between 8 - 12c. I don't doubt what you have said, but I would like to read the full story around that fact. With global warming this could be a problem, and one thats worth looking into. It could mean traditional spawning areas being abandoned. Tell me please, what is your source of reference? The pike, being basically millions of years old, has survived changing weather patterns before, but maybe by moving it's territory. I'm into the realms of guesswork on this one. Your help will be most appreciated, cheers, Peter.

Well Peter, I got it off a web page that i think i got from you. but all i can do is quote from the piece of paper. as i will do now in bold. Female pike are capablef producing a large number of eggs. For example a twenty pounder could lay some 2000,000 eggs. Females contain eggs at some stage of development for most of the year. Egg development begins during the summer months following the springtime spawn. During the following winter and spring the eggs mature and swell by absorbing water. The Spawning trigger depends on various factors including water temperature wich is usually between 8 and 12 degrees celcius when spawning takes place. Male pike tend to arrive at the spawning ground before the females, selecting shallow areas of water where there are ample submerged water plants or emergent vegatation-reed,rushes or even flooded areas of grass can be used. Female pike may fail to shed thier eggs when there are large temerature fluctuations during the spring. Unlike some other coarse fish they appear to be incapable of re-absorbing these eggs- which can constitute for 20 % of thier body wieght - and by early summer these fish often die. Tell me if that is ok please peter.

Could you give us the web page address LP if you can find it. Thanks.

A quote from Maitland and Campbell may be of interest

"Pike spawn from Feb to May, depending in which part of the country, when the water temperature is rising and between 4 and 11 degrees C. This is a period when Pike may make long migrations from feeding areas to spawning grounds - behaviour which is exploited by fishery managers wishing to control pike numbers in salmonid waters, as they are then particularly vulnerable to gill netting, ..........male pike may be an important item in the diet of large females"

Nothing about pike dying if unable to shed spawn, and the last sentence is particular relevant re the folly of trying to control pike numbers by killing large females.

Hope this helps

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...