ICAST (worlds largest sportfishing trade show)

Phone

All,

ICAST, is the world’s largest sportfishing trade show. (icastfishing.org)

These are the “winners” of the Best in Show.

Pure Fishing, Inc. Berkley Nanofil fishing line. (Also BEST OVERALL)

Frabill, Inc. - Frabill Suit (best clothing, it’s a rain suit)

Daiwa Corporation - Daiwa D-Shock DSH-4Bi (best rod and reel combo)

G. Pucci & Sons, Inc. - P-Line Sparrowhawk (best assessor)

Wondering if these products have been discussed yet? There are a lot of other new products for 2011 - take a look.

Phone

I would be especially interested in a review of the Nanofil fishing line.

There was a brief thread about Berkley Nanofil back in late March or early April but as yet, this stuff doesn't appear to be available on this side of the pond.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the other stuff has been discussed.

As I fish a lot with light lures a lot of the time, it's the Nanofil that I'm waiting for.

Edit: Just had a look at some of the stuff from the show and although it will have limited UK aplications, I reckon that the Sebile D&S crankbait is going to go down a storm with Ausie anglers chassing Murray Cod and Barra.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

All,

I was looking at this website http://www.berkley-fishing.com/line/nanoFil . It is what it appears to be, the NanoFil page on the Berkley site. It has the recommended knots for this product:

■Attaching line to tackle: NanoFilTM Knot

■Attaching Leaders: Double Albright Knot

■Salt Water Application: Use a Double Albright or Spider Hitch to a Uni knot

There is an example of how to tie them should you not know. I don't know how to put the examples up here on AN. Someone will I'm sure.

My point is, this must be some "slick" line? Do you suppose it will have the "flurocarbon" issues with knotting?

Phone

Do you suppose it will have the "flurocarbon" issues with knotting?

The Nanofil knot is just a modified Palomar so I doubt it'll cause any major issues. I suspect that just as with the Rapala knot, the invention of a new knot is more to do with product placement than with any inherent advantages.

Biggest problem with flouro's (especially Berkley Vanish) was the brittleness of the line causing the knot to simply fall apart as it was tightened. This isn't a problem that I've had with more modern flouro's designed specifically as leader material rather than mainline.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.