Carp-catcher

Pangolin

Posted about this on the Session Carp board too. I met this bloke, today, and bought one of these:

www.thecarpcatcher.com

looks very interesting. I will let you know how I get on with it.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

Unless I missed something, there is absolutely no detail there on rigging it, how it works, or any of that.

If you paid the £12 you must have liked his idea but could you give some idea beyond what the web page offers?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I guess the website doesn't give all the info because otherwise somebody could make something similar... it's basically a surface-fishing bolt-rig, for distance work. The one I bought direct only cost me eight quid...

I have something that looks incredibly like that! Made from one of those bouncy ball things that bounce incredibly far, even when just dropped. Mine was made up for pike fishing, works like a Polaris Float or an inline trolling float, cost £1.99. Strangely enough I bought it for river carping, to help with the casting as well as providing a bolt rig effect, not that it has caught me much. A major splash when casting it. Still, at the advertised price, it must be better than the pike version. Who said, theres one born every minute?

No, not self-striking. It gives enough resistance to hook the fish, initially (as claimed), but then releases the line to let the hooked fish run. Despite having a weight on the bottom and the bait on the surface, it all tucks up very neatly when you're reeling in, or playing a fish.

Thanks pangolin,

Sounds like it might operate on the same principal as those self locking floats.

Probably never use one myself, but just love to know how everything works.

I still can't quite see exactly the principal of it, but I expect that it will come to light when a few more have used it.

.......Liam

"Wisdom is the knowledge of how little we know"

Barbelangler.co.uk