any advice appriciated

madtom-86

Hi madtom :)

It would help if we had more information to go on.... canal/lake/pond/shallow/deep/features (overhanging trees/islands etc) and what fish are known to be in there. Naming the venue could be a big help too, since someone here may have fished the place before.

We're a good friendly (and above all, helpful) forum, so I'm sure there's a few on here willing to help you out (as will I when you post the info ;) ).

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

hi john thanks for the reply,

its a small lake called jacks in didcot i did put a post trying to get info on this venue but no replys... its surrounded by trees and small bushes but alot of open bank and hasnt got any over hanging trees and has carp bream roach. as i said iv tried to find out more but nothing heared yet. was just trying to find out how everyone else goes about fishing day ticket lakes. Tom

Hi MadTom-86 Welcome to Anglers Net,

Sorry you have not had more responses you could try putting a similar question up in the Carp section it might get you a quicker response.

Me now I seldom fish for Carp so my advice is based on my preference for fish other than Carp. However it is based on over 57/58 fishing seasons so I am not quite a novice.

Some may suggest to look for spots that look regularly used but I am assuming there are none of these.

I would arrive look for in cuts into the bank, area's that look a little like natural bays, then look to see where the sun was and see if the trees and or bushes gave me any indication of the direction of prevailing winds. I would then look for a spot where the sun would be either on my left of right for most of the day and the wind blowing straight at me. Oops! if you are unsure of fishing at great depths and you want to float fish before getting fully set up I would use my plummet to fin out how deep the water is say at rod length, two rod lengths and at three rod lengths. However if you are legering then depth is not a problem.

After having chosen your spot and plumbed the depth next comes some groundbait if it is allowed or some loose feed if you are loose feeding a very little and fairly often is the key.

Personally I would float fish as I just love watching a float dance and dive, then I would have about 9" (23cms) between my hook and the first weight shortening the distance if I missed a few bites, if I did not get a response fairly quickly say half an hour then I would lengthen the distance to 15" (38cms).

My bait choice would be in the following order:

White Maggots

Breadpaste

Worms

Sweetcorn

cheese and bread made into a paste

I hope this is a little help for you

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God