Must i get a pole?

I seem to be a consistently unsuccessful angler for roach, at least on lakes. I'm more successful on rivers with a reasonable flow, which makes me think the problem may be that I don't fish fine enough, or i don't feed accurately enough. The obvious answer would be to get a pole, but the idea doesn't appeal - long, heavy and boring!

One thought would be to use a feeder float adapted with a fine tip. That should feed accurately, but maybe they'd still feel the resistence. Or maybe I should use a pole float fished a bit like a waggler? That would provide the sensitivity, and I suppose I could get a cheap pole and use for accurate feeding?

I'd welcome any advice.

john clarke

Pole fishing is something you like or don't. I don't. I have tried it and it is not for me. The thing to do here is borrow a pole and try it to see if you like it. I will admit that pole fishing does have its benefits especilly in accuracy and presentation. I hope this helps

Seph

Paul

You should do fine with just the waggler.

Set up two (if you have two rods) and set both on the bottom.

Use one for on the bottom fishing and experiment with different depths with the other one.

You will be amazed how the roach constanty change feeding depths.

If you only have one rod make a note of the bottom depth by using tippex on your rod.

It will come off by carefull scratching.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Thanks for both sets of advice. I think Rudd is saying that, though presentation is an issue, an insert waggler is snsitive enough for bites, and I needn't worry about a pole float. Certainly moving the depth around is something I may not have been doing enough.

What about the idea of a feeder float for very accurate feeding if you need to be, say, 3 rod lengths out? Has anyone tried this?

john clarke

I don't understand the need to feed any more accurately than you can with a catapult. When I used to fish for roach, the preferred method was always to put some bait in, and immediately follow it with your float tackle while it was still sinking, not the other way round.

p.s. If you buy a pole, your legs will swell up and your breath will smell. It is an unproven scientific fact.

[ 06. June 2003, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

The problem is that I just am a terrible marksman with a catapault. I only seem to need to get it slightly wrong and a bunch of maggots go zinging twenty feet past the target area. And even if I improved, surely it would be difficult to be anywhere near as accurate as a feeder float. I'm starting to convince myself!

Another thought is that you can buy 7 metre Italian telescopic poles for about £11. I'm not sure where I could borrow a pole, but I could buy a cheapo even if I only used it a couple of times. I've no idea if they're any use. What effect do they have? Maybe the whole of me would swell and I'd start singing operas all the time?

john clarke

Peter Sharpe:

I don't understand the need to feed any more accurately than you can with a catapult. When I used to fish for roach, the preferred method was always to put some bait in, and immediately follow it with your float tackle while it was still sinking, not the other way round.

p.s. If you buy a pole, your legs will swell up and your breath will smell. It is an unproven scientific fact.

I've found the same thing. If I cast out and then fire feed in I usually miss bites because

of having my hans full and not being ready.

It's much better to catapult then cast.

John, are you fishing the right swims? It shouldn't be that hard to catch Roach on the waggler.

Paul

Thanks, Paul.OK, I accept that I ought to catapult then cast, but if the bait's out of the water and i put it down I often catch a leaf! But that's just me being inefficient, and I ought to get it right. But even if I did that right I think there's a bit of a problem with accuracy of feed if you're more than a couple of rods out.I'm interested that no-one seems to have tried a feeder float? I've used them for rudd a couple of feet under the surface, and the big splash does spook them after a bit, but on reflection I can't see any problem if you're fishing well down.

On your comment of whether I'm fishing the right swims, the fishing here in Newbury where I live is generally brilliant, but perhaps less so for roach than most species. I'm OK fishing for small roach which, admittedly, are easy, but I've had limited success with bigger ones - up to 1lb 2oz in the Kennet, but never more than 8oz in the lakes, although I know bigger ones are there. I recently tried the Plaums Pit in Swindon where I was told the fishing was easy and the roach averaged 10oz! I only caught one decent fish (10oz) plus some small ones, but there were very sensitive things happening to the float (insert waggler) which didn't turn into bites, and I wondered if I'd have had more success on the pole with a very sensitive float. It was very windy, and part of the problem may have been that I wasn't sinking the line very efficiently, so there was drag. I think the wind exacerbated the feeding accuracy problem. It all got me thinking!

Thanks for everyone's comments, though I'd welcome any more.

john clarke

John,

Have you tried breadflake? Breadflake can sort out the better sized roach. Also Tares used with hemp as loose feed can be great for Roach too.

How do you set up your waggler rig?

What kind of catty do you use?

Paul

[ 07. June 2003, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: P@UL ]

Catapults can make a mess if not used right. It sounds silly but there is a lot of anglers that use them wrong. You should not be filling the pouch. (Half full will do) You should also not be pulling the pouch back. Hold the pouch at an angle (so bait doesn't fall out) with one hand and push the handle away from you to strech the elastic. Then let go!