weed clearing

ratchet

our club lake is currently choked with canadian pond weed.it was chemically weed treated 2 years ago with reasonably good effect, now its back with a vengence.does anybody know of any commercial available equipment or a good weed treatment to rid this menace.yes we,ve been in and raked it and threw in numerous double sided rakes, but this only temp clears short swims,and soon grows back.lake is approx 3 acres and varies from 3ft to 6ft deep.

yes there is but its extremly expensive to hire ,if you want more details send an email to mike barrass on here :

http://www.farnhamangling.com/

he hired one last year for one of our ponds ,dont expect a quick reply he`s a slovenly replier :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

arent all comittee members. ive e-mailed him anyway,our club has the funds but its like getting blood out of a stone, getting any money out of them to improve the ponds.but if it looks viable, ill bang a couple of heads together for the members sake.cheers

we had it cut last year but its only really pruning ,this year it was treated chemically and i suspect to keep it under controlled should be every year ,we didnt (i think) have canadian pondweed ,that stuffs a curse to shift

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Ratchet

Please email me privately - I am more than happy to help (and Canadian Pondweed is very easy to control). Use bruno.broughton@virgin.net

I am in Newcastle a couple of days every other week, overseeing the construction of Angel of the North lakes, alongside the A1(M) at the Bowes Incline - you may have seen the diggers from the slip road! If your lake is nearby, I am happy to drop in and take a look for free, and I can treat the weed for you if needs be, although that would be a paying job.

If the fishery is larger than about 3/4 acre, I would forget raking unless you have a VERY strong back and lots of helpers.

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

what about adding a few grassies

Around 50 of them for a 3 acre pond but since Canadian Pond Weed is right up there at the top of their dietary preference list, it might be a great way to go.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

carper99:

what about adding a few grassies

'Fraid they are most unlikely to work. Firstly, they are expensive and the cost will work out at £500-£1,000/acre (i.e. 10 times the herbicide option).

Secondly, they won't eat anything much until the water temperature exceeds 15C and won't really chomp until 20C - our UK summers are usually too cool and short.

Finally, you will need a Defra licence in addition to Section 30 EA consent, and this will be refused if the fish can escape into a watercourse or if the site is insecure.

I have visited probably 70+ fisheries where grass carp were present and know of only 2 where the owners think they have controlled weed successfully.

[ 29. August 2004, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Broughton ]

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

Finally, you will need a Defra licence in addition to Section 30 EA consent, and this will be refused if the fish can escape into a watercourse or if the site is insecure.

Bruno, does this apply even to certified sterile triploids?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President