Of all the different types of coarse angling just who is the most skilful?

Guest Mark Cunnington

Guest Leon Roskilly
Originally posted by Mark Cunnington:

Personally speaking I think that there is no higher man than the carp angler.. but I could just be winding you up or feeding you ammo!

You've never fished for mullet I guess.

They are coarse fish, even if they do live in salt water.

Tight Lines - leon

(They'll be back soon smile.gif )

Guest Tim Kelly

I think the most skillfull anglers must be the ones who have to catch in front of the cameras for TV week in week out. I don't even dare take a camera with me when I go fishing as it is definately bad Ju-Ju and scares away any fish.

As much as I dislike the likes of Matt Hayes I have to grudgingly admire their reliability. I would love to see some of the American fishing shows with the likes of Joe Bucher or Bob Meisekoma (sp?), these guys catch big fish for the cameras regularly...... apparently.

Tim

Guest Pete B

Leon,

Go down to Christchurch mate, the mullet are dead simple to catch.. depends where they are from... the Medway may be difficult, but it's down to density/education...

IMHO, the angler who consistantlty catches big roach deserves recognition, as these are rare and difficult to catch.

Happy Fishing

Carp angler and occasional Chub/roach/tench and perch fisherman..

Guest Alan Pearce

Very entertaining thread, thanks to all who have contributed.

The only thing in fishing I can't get my head around, is bivvy slippers! has anyone actually bought some (come on own up)

I must admit that I agree most with what Steve B says here, but then we are the same age. As for the top all round angler, and having been privaledged to fish with a few, it has to be John Wilson. He has even put top match anglers to shame, he is one of the few who posesses that certain knack. If its got fins then 'whizzo' will catch them.

Alan.

Guest Peggy Burke
Originally posted by Elton:

"I've got a headache, Steve?" ?

tongue.gif

Elton

[This message has been edited by Elton (edited 15 March 2001).]

Never mind about getting them, Steve's just one big headache!

Mind you, he reckon's I'm a pain in the neck!

Guest Steve Burke
Originally posted by Tim Kelly:

I would love to see some of the American fishing shows with the likes of Joe Bucher or Bob Meisekoma (sp?), these guys catch big fish for the cameras regularly...... apparently.

Tim

The US video I've put in the auction, "Late Season Northern Pike" stars Bob Mehsikomer. He certainly catches a lot of fish on it.

And yes, I did have to check how he spells his name!

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest thecarpangler
Originally posted by Steve Burke:

Even in the middle of the night?

It's certainly the best time for fishing on the surface... wink.gif

Guest andy jack
Originally posted by Scott:

Oh my god, can opened worms everywhere!

The few (less than 1%)carp anglers right at the top of the sport would probably be just as successfull if they tried fishing for another species.(i.e. Kevin ________s)

Scott.

Do you think that carp anglers are born with a throwing stick in one hand, and a bed chair glued to their bums?

If you put your predudices to one side, and took the time to talk to one or two carp anglers, I think you would get an eye opener. My fishing started at a very early age, stickle backs in jam jars an all that. My apprenticeship was long and hard, Manchester not being exactly a hot bed of good waters. I have done the rounds before concentrating on carp. Picked up one or two match trophies allong the way. Dabbled at sea fishing, fly fished for trout, ledgered for bream, fished for tench with a quill float, pole fished, pike fished, E.C.T E.C.T. E.C.T. need I go on.

I stick by my origonal opinion that not one group is more skillfull than others, just induvidualls persuing different branches of the sport, with varying levels of skill. But of course I am not biased or bigoted.

Oh yes and by the way when did trout and sea fish come under the banner of coarse fishing. See the origonal post. smile.gif

Guest JACKO

CAN I PLAY NOW, OR AM I A BIT LATE! I am probabley what you call an all rounder, I do mainley Carp fishing but regularly fish for Trout, tiddler bash(match fish!) and Fish in The RAF boat and beach sea fishing team. and my perssonal opinion is that fishing from the beach needs lots of patience and skill, what with tides, weather, sandbanks and location it can be taxing at times. Bye the way Carp fishing in my opinion can be as easy or difficult as you make it, chuck the bait in anywere and wait, no skill involved, stalking and actually working on catching fish is a different matter. Cheers Jacko.

Guest Simon Newbould
Originally posted by JACKO:

Bye the way Carp fishing in my opinion can be as easy or difficult as you make it, chuck the bait in anywere and wait

Cheers Jacko.

Hmmm - interesting tactic Jacko, unless you're fishing the commercial puddles I would think you either have very little success - or a tremendous amount of luck! wink.gif

Simon