Yesterday

Leon Roskilly

The venue is about 25ft deep, fairly well stocked.

Figuring out the mood of the trout usually produces.

But yesterday I was finding the going difficult (not the only one).

With a bright sky and little surface activity I extended my leader to get the fly down deep, and tried a variety of flies and retrieves, still nothing biting.

Lunchtime, so I stuck on a small black buzzer, cast out and sat on my chair as I unwrapped and started to eat my sandwich.

The leader sank and started to pull down the tip of the line, deeper and deeper.

Three bites into my sandwich and the line shot forward.

Sandwich dumped into my open bag, as I battled a rainbow with far too much energy to the net.

Oh! the old 'I'm just going to eat my sandwich' routine!

Cast out again, the leader sank, the tip of the floating line sank, and sank, and as I got near the crust I had to stuff it all quickly into my mouth as the rod tip whipped around.

Same thing happened as I was reaching in my bag for a Cadburys chocolate eclair sweet for afters.

Lunch finished and I'd learned that 'down deep' means 'down deep' and quickly reached my C&R limit.

Little by little I'm learning :)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

When I fished Ladybower which is over 100 ft deep in places from a boat with a portable fishfinder the majority of fish away from the banks were located at around the 30' mark. If I fine tuned the echo sounder it showed that this was the thermoclime. The only way to get a legitimate fly down there from a boat was to cast a lead head on a Hi-D line in front of the drift and let the boat drift over it paying line out while it was sinking. Once things tightened up the fly and line would rise up so you only got a few seconds of fishing at any great depth.

Regards, Clive

as I got near the crust I had to stuff it all quickly into my mouth as the rod tip whipped around.

Glad to see you are taking my advice from a few threads back :lol::lol:

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Leon

Was that at Iwade?

Tony

No at Bucklands.

I'm still waiting for Iwade to fill up :(

(Thought I did catch one at Iwade the other evening).

Had a couple from the bank at Bewl on Wednesday, much to the surprise of the lodge!

RNLI Shoreline Member

I am thinking of heading to Tenterden tomorrow, to have a go fishing Daddy's on the top and then have a wander round the Folk festival.

The it's off to Cuba on Tuesday for a bit of salt water stuff.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

No at Bucklands.

I'm still waiting for Iwade to fill up :(

(Thought I did catch one at Iwade the other evening).

Had a couple from the bank at Bewl on Wednesday, much to the surprise of the lodge!

Wish I could join you :(

RNLI Shoreline Member