gravel pits

davidbyrne046

Gravel pits are man-made David,the gravel is extracted for road building or just for conventional building projects.

Probably the oldest pits only date back to just after WW2,this is obviously long enough for them to look pretty well established,in fact it takes a surprisingly short time for the bankside growth to get going.

davidbyrne046:

right thanks just the local has kinda what looks to be gravel and that lake has been there from dinsoar years.my dads a builder so he'd know what gravel is.is there anything else on the bed that looks like gravel.

Don't think that because the bed of the lake is gravel that it's a gravel pit. Many lakes have naturally occuring gravel whilst many gravel pits don't (because the gravel was dug out). To be honest I think the gravel pit term is a bit pointless these days - it's just a manmade lake.

[ 15. June 2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: davidP ]

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Yeah, the bars will not be all made of gravel, they will mostly be the waste material that was not wanted, and so was heaped up to make it easier for the gravel underneath to be extracted.

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts