Chub Help

Ed Matysiak

I'm certain Groundbait works for Chub and Barbel...but it never really has for me so I dont use it. Except in winter when there is nothing better than mashed or liquidised bread in conjunction with breadflake or Lobworm on the hook, for Chub that is.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Another really exciting way of catching Chub in a small river at this time of year is to try for them with a bit of floating crust.

Sit very quietly and out of sight at the top of a run, drop bits of bread in and watch it float downstream. Usually the chublets start going for it first, but when the bread gets to the area usually a feature of some type where the bigger chub hang out, after a while they will start to pick up the confidence to take it. Sometimes it is a very subtle little take, sometimes they seem to almost attack it. Wait until you are as certain as you can be that you are going to get a bite and then hook up your crust. I use six pound mono straight through to a size four with nothing but vaseline on the line between the top ring and a distance about three feet from the hook. Cast out and don't dare to breath until you get a take.

I don't think you get the biggest fish off the top and you can spend maybe three quarters of an hour building up a swim only to spook them and totally blow it, but it is heart stopping stuff.

Just came back from the tackle shop. I got some feeders and a couple of cripper leads. Im going to fish 2 rods..

Rod 1:

11ft Quiver tip rod feeder fishing on a slow bend with overhanging willow and 2 weed beds, feeding maggots and sweetcorn. Sweetcron, maggots and bread on the hook. This is the chub set up.

Rod 2:

10ft carp rod ledger fishing a gripper lead in the shallower fast straight just after the bend with meat and sweetcorn on the hook. Loose feed will be hemp, corn and meat. This is the barbel set up.

We will switch over the comand of each set up so we both get a chance of barbel and chub. If one rod preforms better than the other i will let her stay on it. I have talked this over with the tackle shop owner and he recons we are going to score big!