Lake Geneva

Martin Salisbury

One of my friends has just started a job in Geneva and lives on the banks of the lake.

He is pestering for me to go over for a while and I said I would go if I could go fishing. The deal is on but does anybody have any experience or knowledge of Lake Geneva?

I've found that it hold pike, perch and trout but that is all my searches have thrown up.

Any more info much appreciated.

Regards,

Martin

I don't know much. My twin brother lives in lausanne, but hasn't seriously fished since he's been out there. It's obviously a very deep lake, and i think they must net it, because all the restaurants serve pike and perch. APPARENTLY THE LOCALS FISH FOR PERCH WITH GREAT BIG FLOATS, THOUGH i DIDN'T SEE ANY WHEN I WAS THERE. (Sorry, capitals not intended.) His daughters caught some small perch but then lost interest. I think they used maggots, so there must be a fishing shop in Lausanne. I'm sure my brother mentioned carp and some other fish as well as perch, pike and trout. He also said that for pike some of the locals preferred a smaller lake.

Sorry not to be more help. I'd also like to fish there some day, so let me know if you go.

john clarke

quote:

Originally posted by Martin Salisbury:

One of my friends has just started a job in Geneva and lives on the banks of the lake.

He is pestering for me to go over for a while and I said I would go if I could go fishing. The deal is on but does anybody have any experience or knowledge of Lake Geneva?

I've found that it hold pike, perch and trout but that is all my searches have thrown up.

Any more info much appreciated.

I'm assuming you mean Switzerland's Lake Geneva as opposed to the one in the States (Wisconsin) :confused:

I was in Switz 3 or 4 years ago, and fished several lakes including Geneva which I found more than a tad daunting and only caught small perch on lures. I think it's heavily fished for the table :mad:

I found the rivers e.g. The Rhône more fun. The trout aren't mega-big, but a fish is a fish!

I also fished the river in Bern and had, much to my surprise, some nice chub (at least, I think they were chub). Allegedly there are barbel in there too, but maybe that's just a fishy tale (tail)

Either way, I think I'd fish lures in the Lake and the Rhône. Depends whether or not you're going to have access to a boat or not (on the Lake)

DG

[ 25. September 2003, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

My dads got a house on lake Como in Italy and I cant wait to fish it. The lakes are huge and very very deep. (400m in the middle). I would stay in the harbours and fish close to the boats. I've seen shadows of fish around 5 pounds. Not quite sure what they are but a fish is a fish. Check the local resteraunts to find out what they are as you might find that they sell lake fish.

Small lures and bread would be good baits, maggots would attract the massive shoals of silver fish that live near the banks.

hope this helps.

cheers

rich

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

Hello

Have just returned from a week in switzerland and france. as far as i know lake geneva holds perch,pike, trout,char and pollan, at least they are the species that most people are interested in.

the locals seemed to be fishing by trolling lures along the shelves, on the deep side. and they kept everything they caught, from 4oz perch up to 15lbs pike.

thats all i could suss though

ADAM

My brother inSwitzerland has e-mailed me an interesting excerpt from a book by a guy called Masson on 'Les Poissons du Lac Leman (Geneva)'. He lists just about every conceivable fish as being found there, and claims to like the tench particularly because of their hapit of giving you tench kisses on your mask when snorkling ( I think). Cetainly different. I haven't worked out how to copy an e-mail onto this, but would forward it to you if you gave me your e-mail address - though I'm not saying it would be of any practical value.

john clarke