local pond , more advice please

frodo_uk

I am fishing a sizable pond this weekend, it is carpless, but carries a head of bream tench rudd roach chub and perch (and pike but i don't intend to fish for those). after obtaining a little local advice it seems that it is hardly ever fished (and it isn't) because it is notoriously hard fished :confused: seems like a contradiction to me :confused: but you get the idea.

any advice on fishing a venue where the fish just don't want to play ball?

fat, stupid hobbit.

notoriously hard fished?

I suspect the fish may well be hard to catch!

I'll bet the water is clear for starters. Is it deep, weedy. Let us know, then, I suspect you may get some advice.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

the water is pretty clear yes about 5 ft at its deepest, holding a few (only a few)lilys at a couple of the pegs near the bank. not weedy. and it narrows into what appears to be an inlet i guess where the water enters from . note: there is no obvious outlet though. plenty of tree cover round abouts.

if by chance anyone holds a pride of derby ticket they may know it, its grimleys pond. cheers.

fat, stupid hobbit.

One of the most important points about such waters is that the fish are easily scared. So all the usual things apply like keeping off the skyline, wearing dark clothing and avoiding sudden movements etc.

Many such waters are relatively featureless so any change of depth is likely to be a hotspot. Lilies of course are a magnet for fish, plus at this time of year anywhere in the shade.

Whilst bait and presentation are important, feeding is probably more so. At this time of year I'd tend to lay a small carpet of feed and then feed little and very often.

Good luck. Be sure to tell us how you get on.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

well i visited the pond yesterday (saturday) spent nine hours there caught five perch (tiddlers) and 1 roach (also a tiddler) :( my companion did only slightly better catching 5 tiddler perch and four tiddler roach.

after battling through nettles, reeds and god knows what else just to reach the waters edge i saw immediately i was wrong, the pond in the space a just a few weeks has become totally infested with weed (same as in my fish tank) no matter though becuase when you did get caught in it came away quite freely.

I floated with red maggot, red worm, caster and combinations of the three.

at the same time i had sweetcorn hair rigged on a sixteen hook and that produced not even a twitch all day. a ground baiting campaign create cloud effect in the water did litle to improve things. better than a blank but the longest day of the year certainly felt like it. thx for the advice though folks much appreicated :)

fat, stupid hobbit.

Hmmm!

Sounds a good water to use a weed rake on.

Tie a couple of garden rake heads back to back, and attach them to a long rope, and use it to clear a swim.

The disturbance to the bottom will bring the fish to feed (especially the tench), put in some sweetcorn and maggots to help things along.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Frodo

You are not on your own mate. I fished this pond twice (I was so impressed by the surroundings on my first visit that I had to return) First time I had some tiddly roach and perch, and second time bugger all. It's very frustrating as there is obviously a fair head of fish. My next attack on it will be with the bubble feeder or finding a clear spot and putting some dark groundbait down. When I fished last time there was a lot of fizzing activity but this stopped around 9am and after that they didn't seem interested probably due to the clarity and the sun. Send me an e-mail to let me know how you get on.

Tight lines

Steve