Most influential book since...

Pangolin

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you count Walkers "Still Water" as the most influential then you simply have to consider John Bickerdykes "Book of the AllRound Angler" as this was the book that inspired Walker!

And further more...Bickerdykes "Pike Fishing" has got to be the "pikers bible", and even though you may not have read it yourself, it is a certainty that you use some or all of the methods described in it.

Both these books were published about 1900, over 100 years ago.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

do enjoy the compleat angler and pick it up again occasionally. been meaning to read some walker in the not too distant although book availabilty seems a bit limited + costly

from a carp fishing perspective as thats what i do - hearn and laneys books would have to be the most inspirational for me. Also enjoy Chris Yates writings. hard to single out one though!!

quote:

Originally posted by poledark:

.... Walkers "Still Water" ......Bickerdykes "Pike Fishing" ....

Both these books were published about 1900, over 100 years ago. Den

I guess, Den, you were there to get 1st Editions of them both ..only kidding

DG

[ 19. February 2004, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Tell you what DG, I would have loved to have been around then, but only with todays transport :D

I doubt if any of the rivers were as "clean" as they are now but they did seem to hold some whopping fish.

If any of you get the chance to read or buy a copy of Johns book on pike fishing I think you should grab it with both hands.......fascinating stuff, even allowing for the change in tackle and hook setups.

As for Roach, the chapters on finding roach swims is pure genius.

Got to be THE most influential book of all

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

My favourite book, from my teenage years, was 'On the Line' by John Mitchell. I have it with me now. It's a series of strip cartoons, probably originally published in a newspaper, just as Mr Crabtree was. The price is still marked on the cover, as 7/6! I have a much older book, called 'Coarse Fishing' by H.T. Sheringham, which I picked up from a secondhand book shop. It is a collection of advice and anecdotal stories, from a man who obviously loved his fishing. Have you ever heard of either of these books, Steve?

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

well im not sure if this counts..but i have a whole collection of magazines from the early 60's called "creel" make bloody good reading..... nice to see how it was done in days gone by... bernard venables being in the first issue..plus a nice painting of a carp he did inside the first cover....... :)

Posted Image

bubbles:

well im not sure if this counts..but i have a whole collection of magazines from the early 60's called "creel" make bloody good reading..... nice to see how it was done in days gone by... bernard venables being in the first issue..plus a nice painting of a carp he did inside the first cover....... :)

Posted Image

I'll offer you a fiver for the lot!!! :D:D