First time Barbel?

jak

Taking my 10 year old son out for a couple of hours this evening to try and catch his first ever barbel. Don't know who's more excited me or him !! :D:)

i've a swim in mind on a small stretch of the River Lea. Fished it a few hours on Sunday morning and had 5 Barbel (and some roach and chub) so as long as no one's in the swim he must have a fair chance.

Big whack rounds are the order of the day so it'll be his first time with a Centrepin, in case he gets distracted and misses a bite. No swimming for Dad to retrieve his rod !

Wish us luck and I'll let you know how we get on.

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one's lifespan........

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where abouts on the lea are you fishing? i fished fishers green last year but found it too crowded and have been looking for an alternative streach, thought i might try the hertford streach.

good luck with tonights trip.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Peter M:

where abouts on the lea are you fishing? i fished fishers green last year but found it too crowded and have been looking for an alternative streach, thought i might try the hertford streach.

good luck with tonights trip.

Peter (which is also my sons name!) Not fished the Lea around Hertford. I belong to Verulam AC and we've 3 club stretches but there's a good free (or day ticket?) stretch at Wheathampstead..... not for the specimen hunter but some good shoal fish I've been told.

As an aside - My mate's a bailiff at Fishers Green and that stretch of river is currently closed due to low oxygen levels.

My father-in-law also used to fish Kings Weir and has just rejoined after a 3 year break (had a stroke). He's an OAP and it was only £25. Some good fish there and, due to the Weir I guess, that's still open. Busy at the weekend I'd guess.

Peter

Another thought ...... apparently there was an article in Coarse Fisherman recently on the River Lea, that may be a good place to look. I'm going to borrow it off of my mate. It said that Marford Farm was one of the best stretches (which is one of the Verulam stretches). It's split into the Short Walk and the Long Walk and I've never seen more than 3 anglers on the Long Walk stretch. I've often been there and been the only one. The Verulam ticket is £54 (£30 joining) but there are a number of other waters. Link attached

http://www.verulam-angling.co.uk/

verulum certainly seems to have most of the good streaches but 54 quid would put me over my angling club budget and my wife might have something to say about joining yet another club just for the bits of the river lee they control.

let us know how you get on with the your latest trip.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Just got in and put him to bed. We fished for 2 1/2 hours this evening and he got his first ever barbel :D 1lb 5oz !!! Proud boy and a proud Dad.

Posted Image

Things then got better !!! He improved his PB to 2lb 6oz :D:D:D

Posted Image

He then had a final Barbel of 1lb 6oz and a 1lb 4oz Chub. I had a little dabble whilst he ate and had 4 Barbel 6oz up to 1lb 9oz and a couple of Chub.

One of the best days fishing of my life. Worth it for the look on his face alone. He also had 2 come off, missed several whacks and was transferred by a Barbel that I saw pick up the bait and must have been 3-4 lb.

Life doesn't get much better !

Here's our swim if anyone's interested.

Posted Image

Excellent - and well done to your boy.

Is that swim the one on the river where you said you intended to fish? Pretty place and plenty of bankside growth to let you hide.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President