Taping A Rod?

Elton

Posted on behalf of Joe Hegarty:

quote:

Has anyone ever been advised by a top fishing equipment manufacturer to tape the joints of an expensive (£135) carp rod to prevent the top section from slipping off?

if so, which company, or do you think this is a ludicrous idea as well?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

quote:

Originally posted by Elton:

Posted on behalf of Joe Hegarty:

Has anyone ever been advised by a top fishing equipment manufacturer to tape the joints of an expensive (£135) carp rod to prevent the top section from slipping off?

if so, which company, or do you think this is a ludicrous idea as well?

Well, better to wrap 0.001p's worth of Duck Tape round a joint than to be sorry! Some anglers are wary of ramming the joint too tight and not being able to get it apart (I use graphite or JointSave). Not being funny, but 135 quid isn't that expensive for a decent carp rod and anyway, cost isn't necessarily a factor; if you've got a spigot joint for the money, so much the better.

Nope, I don't think it's silly, just a quick, cheap, easy precaution if you're casting serious baits serious distances

DG :cool:

Frankly I think the rod shouldn't have to be taped for safety. The rod should have been designed to cope with slippage. If a rod requires taping, the manufacturer should include a roll of tape (can you imagine buying a rod with free tape? I know I wouldn't buy one) or rethink what it is they are doing wrong.

A rod blank has also been designed to allow natural curve. Anthing applied to the blank will affectthe natural bend of the rod and may even create a weak spot.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

What I would think about that advice(?) would not be allowed to be posted here!!

What a load of rubbish!! If the rod requires tape around a joint at any age there is something inherrently wrong with it!! You don't say how old the rod is or who the maker is(?) Probably deliberate, but anything that is sold should be "Fit for it's purpose" Sticking tape around it is not how it is sold so that would make the rod not fit for the purpose for which it was sold - PERIOD!!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Goddard:

What I would think about that advice(?) would not be allowed to be posted here!!

What a load of rubbish!! If the rod requires tape around a joint at any age there is something inherrently wrong with it!! You don't say how old the rod is or who the maker is(?) Probably deliberate, but anything that is sold should be "Fit for it's purpose" Sticking tape around it is not how it is sold so that would make the rod not fit for the purpose for which it was sold - PERIOD!!

Chris

Let he or she who has never ever had a joint work even a tad loose after a day's heavy casting ........ :rolleyes:

DG :cool:

DG! I'm here!! What now :D

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I have a pair of Black Max 3.5TC rods and for some reason the joints (spigot) work loose and even twist under heavy casting.

I put this down to the extremely thick walls and lack of flex at the joint. I must admit that I have not yet taped a joint when fishing but as DG says why not? definitely beter than chucking the top section into the lake!!

And as a matter of interest I have taped pole joints, top 4/5 and 5/6 in case I got "pointed"

Den

[ 27. June 2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic