Broken Ikon

Fordy

Hi all

A while back, having snapped my ageing Abu float rod in an unfortunate argument with an overhanging tree (!!), I bought a Leeda Ikon carp waggler rod as a replacement. First chuck (honestly - very first cast!) I hooked and landed a 15lb carp on corn. However, as I was netting the beast, the tip of the rod snapped off (top three inches including the two tip rings. One cast, one fish...gonner!!

Local tackler dealers (Allens in Portsmouth) were good as gold and replaced the broken one with a new one FOC. Have used the new one on approx three sessions heaving large bags of carp (some good doubles) out of Gold Valley and other venues.

However....during recent French hols, hooked a double on floating crust - got it into the net....and the top three inches of the rod snapped off. A touch of deja vu or what! The rod's billed as a big fish waggler rod so I'm sure it should be able to cope - and I don't bully fish - prefer to let the tools to the work. Has anyone else had similar experience with an Ikon? Now looking for a replacement - if poss for under £100 if anyone's got any suggestions.....

Caught numerous doubles on my 13' Abu float rod for years including a few big barbel float fishing in the River Kennet with no problems. I realise if I'm specifically targetting big fish I need a big fish rod - but a 15lb carp shouldn't really be a problem should it.......???????

I have a pair of Leeda Ikons 13foot Method feeders up to 3.5oz. I have had loads of carp, barbel and bream on them, barbel to D/F and carp to 20+.

I have hurled big method feeders as far as I can chuck them (about 75yds) and never had a problem.

I got three tips with each rod, did you?

Just a thought, do you bring your rod tip up very high when playing fish? as this may cause the tip to pull down at a very sharp angle and break it.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

No mate - no extra sections worst luck - this one is purely a waggler rod although I have used it succesfully in the past for float-ledgering (with a small feeder and a Polaris). As for playing the fish, can't really remember putting it up high on either occasion. I didn't do anything you would consider excessive. I just think these rods may not be up to the job they're sold for. They even have an additional rubbery grip half way up the first section to give you extra leverage when playing a big fish., Havbe never broken a rod before in over 20 years fishing and then have snapped two in 8 months. Seems like a bit of a coincidence to me....

I use Leeda/MAP Parabolix waggler, power waggler and feeder rods.

They are the bees knees.

These are the rods that Preston innovations copied to make their carbonactive range, then middy live carbon etc etc etc

I have managed to snap the fine and the medium quivers (which are carbon, not glass) on the feeder rod.

Luckily they are guaranteed for life and Leeda replaced them within days. I was using braid both times and I think I was not paying attention and weed was caught on the braid/mono leader knot which then jammed in the tip eye causing the tip to snap.

My father in law and another work mate both have Ikon feeder rods and have not had a problem.

I take it you took the rod back to the shop where you bought it and they gave you a new one.

When both rods broke were the breaks fairly clean or did the rod splinter badly?

If they both broke fairly cleanly in the same place on the rod and were from the same batch I would have thought the shop has all or part of a dodgy batch of rods.

This does happen on occasion.

One of my mates called Mat went through four abu rods in two weeks, he took them back, the shop gave him a new one.

In the end they received a new batch which were fine and he has not had a problem with it in the last thre years.

I broke a browning hit and hold margin pole while fitting the elastic once.

The break was so clean that you could of mistaken it as an extra section!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

poledark:

Just a thought, do you bring your rod tip up very high when playing fish? as this may cause the tip to pull down at a very sharp angle and break it.

Den

Good point Den, I wondered about that - both breakages were upon netting. There is also a danger of breaking the tip as you pull the net out of the water, especially if you put the rod down to grasp the net and net handle with two hands. Again the trouble is due to a pull on the tip at a very acute angle.

At the moment of landing a good fish, it is quite understandable that the angler's attention is on the fish and not on his rod tip.

Remedy - As soon as the fish is in the net, grasp both net handle and rod handle in the same hand (so that they are parallel) and with the free hand, take the pickup off if you are using a fixed spool. Then net and rod can go their separate ways without strain on the rod tip.

If a mate nets the fish for you, there is even more chance of a sudden strain on the rod tip if you do not co-ordinate things. Make sure that pickup comes off as soon as your mate lifts the net.

[ 17. August 2004, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...