Advice on Fly fishing

msa88

In about a month or so i am going on a river fly fishing trip which I'm excited about but have never done it before,

:) can anyone help and tell me what are the basics I need to have?

For Trout? I think you will find that we are well into the close season for trout on rivers, are you having a shot at Grayling?

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

For Trout? I think you will find that we are well into the close season for trout on rivers, are you having a shot at Grayling?

Think we are going try for a bit of Grayling but I am not that informed of much, just been told to get some gear together.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this season just for trout on rivers? Or trout in general? (New to fly fishing :D )

Edited by jack1432

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the universe". (Albert Einstein)

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head, thats assault, not leadership". (Dwight D. Eisenhower)

"Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. Theres no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere". (Groucho marx)

You can fish all year round for rainbow trout in stillwaters. In England and Wales, you can now also fish for brown trout all year round in enclosed stillwaters (i.e. no streams flowing in or out). There is a closed season on rivers.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...ing/119657.aspx

In about a month or so i am going on a river fly fishing trip which I'm excited about but have never done it before,

:) can anyone help and tell me what are the basics I need to have?

The main requirement will be to learn to cast a flyline....get practising now....What size river are you fishing? Will it be bank fishing or wading?

It sounds as if you have a lot of prep work and possibly a fair bit of cash to lay out if you've never done it before. I'd be tempted to ask the people organising the trip if they have tackle that you could borrow and, get out for a couple of days on a stillwater and learn to cast. This should give you a head start and not leave you floundering and frustrated!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

The main requirement will be to learn to cast a flyline....get practising now....What size river are you fishing? Will it be bank fishing or wading?

It sounds as if you have a lot of prep work and possibly a fair bit of cash to lay out if you've never done it before. I'd be tempted to ask the people organising the trip if they have tackle that you could borrow and, get out for a couple of days on a stillwater and learn to cast. This should give you a head start and not leave you floundering and frustrated!

If its winter Grayling you seek , Then you are best to use Heavy czech bugs , Your casting only needs to be 2-3 yards as you will stand in the stream & just flick out your bugs slightly upstream letting it come round to your side downstream

The grayling often take right at the rod tip

The Czech bugs will fish close to the bottom as that is where the grayling will be

Also they lie in vast shoals , Locate 1 & YOU CAN HAVE A FIELD DAY WHILST HARDLY HAVING TO MOVE

Edited by cannibalspinners

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com