Fishing in Ireland Or Spain.

peter mccue

Hi guys,

Can I appeal to our wandering fisherfolk on here, for some info about fishing holidays in either Ireland or Spain.

I've started making some enquiries, but to be truthful you can't beat info from people who've been there, done that & got the tee-shirt!

We're basically looking at Carp, Barbel etc for Spain, & Roach, Bream & Pike in Ireland. We're talking about going in May & I'm aware the Irish shoals have migratory habits, that can leave areas practically empty of fish.

Please don't think I want you to send me a map of how to get to your favourite bag up spot!!!! I'd just like some suggestions based on experience, that I can work on.

You wouldn't like to see a fellow A.N member & friends spend a week fishing an empty lake or river would you

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

You're quite correct what you say about Ireland Peter at that time of year. Where the fish are to be found is usually dictated by the weather up to that point in the year. If you are planning well in advance the safest bet would be to book accomodation somewhere in the middle of Ireland Cavan/Mullingar, and then just use this as a base. You can cover a mighty amount of options within an hour and a halfs drive (maximum) from those locations.

Pete,if the travel and adventure are all part of the fishing holiday experience for you then I would have to reccomend Spain.The fishing is superb in wonderfull surroundings.May is an excellent time of the year to visit the Ebro system.My favourite area,Mequinenza, has terrific feeder fishing for carp which average about 4lb,plenty of big ones as well.The Zander fishing is also very good as well as the obvious Catfish.I can gladly give you maps etc,arrange licences,insurances and permits (no charge)There are several Camp sites/accomodation that I can reccomend plus local tackle shops and guides etc etc.

For general coarse fishing on a River I would also reccomend the Saonne in France,Bream,Tench,Roach,Chub and Barbell all in the same swim.Some very big Chub as well.Once again can give you all the info,just ask.For real out and out bagging up fishing I would reccomend the River Wasser in Germany and the Dieja in Czechoslovakia.Both great rivers for bagging up on Bream and Roach.250lb a day quite easy on feeder or float.Same as before just ask.CZ is one of the cheapest countries I have ever fished in and is only 18hr drive compared too two days to Spain!For getting all your gear and bait to any of the European venues driving is the only practical way.Do it off your own back and it costs a fraction of going with a tour operator.Good luck.Hope this helps.

[ 12. November 2003, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

JW,

Thanks for your reply, & I'll certainly be looking into fishing areas round the Cavan/Mullingar region, it sounds a good place to start.

Cheers for that.

Budgie,

Thanks very much for the offers of help, much appreciated.

Had a word with the lads at work today, but whilst Spain has become the hotter venue, I'm afraid the spirit of adventure is in short supply.

Basically, the concensus of opinion is that they would prefer to fly out to Spain, then either hire a vehicle or arrange to be picked up & taken to the fishery. Using this criteria, I've come across a place called Riba Roja on the Ebro. Do you know of this area Budgie?

Mequinenza sounds good, is there any fisheries there that pick you up at the airport?

Thanks for your help Budgie, just a shame there's a distinct lack of the Marco Polo genes in us lot.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Riba Roja and Mequinenza one and the same Pete.Most of the guiding services based in the town and at the other end of the embalsa supply the type of service you are looking for.Although predominately Catfish oriented they will still be able to sort you out.When you decide what you are doing let me know and I can give you some contact information and some insight in to tackle etc.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

hi peter if you are looking for a holiday with all fishing tackle supplied i am in a postion to help you if you do not want to see any other anglers on the bank then i have the right spot for you.catfishing and carp course fishing is superb with possible bags of 100lbs plus per day boat and house next to the river just take a look at www.carpdreamfishing.com and let me know drop an e-amil from the address on the web page.

cheers oh and the bar is on the bank with swims in front. :):)

fishing guide for catfish and carp