New to pike fishing..

LeeH83

Hi i am lookin at getting involved in some pike fishing throughout the winter. as i am normaly a carp fisherman with ur standard carp gear i wud be interested in any info/tips u lot could pass on to me about fishing for pike as i have never done it, i have seen a few lads piking on my local private fisheries but i dont have the 1st idea about handling a pike or best rigs etc, im guessin my carp rods n reels shud be up 2 the job so its just end tackle advice and any tips on handling and unhooking that im looking for,

many thanks in advance

Lee :)

Lee, what many carp anglers don't seem to realise is that pike are not carp and that carp fishing for pike is not very bright. You are right to ask so you are on the right track. Google Pike Angling Club of Gt Britain, PACGB, lots of sensible advice there.

Pike don't react well to bolt rigs, don't like being out of water whilst the captor does his hair and changes his shirt for one with the 'right' logo on it prior to having his picture taken. Pike fishing is a very different mind-set to carping.

By far the best advice is to go with someone who knows what they are doing. I do know from personal experience that this is'nt always possible.

You say in your post that you do'nt have the first idea about handling a pike, in which case please do'nt go piking until you have at least a good theoretical knowledge of handling and unhooking pike.

I would also give sereous thought to using single hooks instead of trebles they are by far easier to remove. If you did want to go down that route theres some good advice on here.

http://singlehookpikesite.com/#

and here

http://www.mickbrownangling.com/2007PIKERIGS.html

As has already been said pike are not like carp, you do'nt put a bolt rigged bait out and wait for them to hang themselves. You are watching/listening for a bite all the time. Strike to late and you have a deep hooked and possibly dead pike. To early and the fish may not have the hook/hooks in its mouth and you will miss it.

But please do'nt be put of as the rewards for getting it right are wonderfull.

The sight of your first pike on the matt will stay with you forever, the feel of it's wonderfull lithe soft body will amaze you after handling carp.

Hi i am lookin at getting involved in some pike fishing throughout the winter. as i am normaly a carp fisherman with ur standard carp gear i wud be interested in any info/tips u lot could pass on to me about fishing for pike as i have never done it, i have seen a few lads piking on my local private fisheries but i dont have the 1st idea about handling a pike or best rigs etc, im guessin my carp rods n reels shud be up 2 the job so its just end tackle advice and any tips on handling and unhooking that im looking for,

many thanks in advance

Lee :)

the blanks of carp rods are not the same as ones built for pike, regardless of the test curve. Carp rods may be designed to bring in heavy weights (the fish) but are designed for casting relativley light rigs and baits out. Thay cannot cope with, for they are not designed to cast out any other than very small deadbaits. There is a very real danger that you will break your rods if you try to constantly cast fish baits. That happened to my son with a pair of good quality (he is a tackle tart) carp rods he thought would do both a couple of seasons ago, I did warn him. In any case not he has come to his senses and abandoned carping.

Your reels, braid, alarms and unhooking mat can be pressed into service. So can your landing net, but I wouldn't put a pike with trebles in its mouth into a soft mesh net ever again. I use my rubberised, marketed as a boat/lure net for all piking situations.

You say that you want to start piking and by the sound of the gear you plan to use it's going to be bait fishing, broaden your horizons, to many of us lures are so exciting to use wheras sitting over baits, especialy in cold weather can be shockingly boring, although perhaps as a carper your used to all that sitting around business. ;)

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

thanks for all ur advise every1.. I will defo not be jumping in the deep end, and doing any damage to the fish, this was my 1st port of call for advice ill be doin alot more research b4 I'm on the bank.. spinning would be my ideal way of goin about it traveling light n being mobile.. no bedchair involved lool. I'm in Watford area, I do have a friend actually who loves his pike fishing mabie ill take a trip wiv him one day n he can show me the ropes!! thanks again people ur replies r much appreciated :-)

"Unhooking Pike" by Andy Macfarlane

I'll assume you are right-handed, in which case I'll describe unhooking as I go about it. You'll find most Pikers carry this out whilst in a kneeling position.

Lay the fish on its left flank, head pointing towards your right hand. You may want to straddle the fish. I use my left shin to prevent the fish from flipping. I don't apply any weight on the fish; I just don't give it any room to move. With your left hand, carefully lift the gill flap a little. Have a look under the flap to see the arrangement. You'll see three sets of rakers. Make sure your fingers haven't picked up any of these and slide one finger along the gill cover, towards the chin. When you get to the chin, you'll find your finger fits nicely into an area of soft skin with no teeth, no rakers and no obstructions.

Lift the head and you should find its mouth will stay wide open without force. You should now have the whole mouth cavity to work with unhindered. You should have a pair of 12" forceps and a pair of wire snips at hand, nothing less. The wire cutters are for fiddly hook-ups. Sometimes it is easier to break the hooks up for quick removal. Never use the snips for cutting the wire, that's a potential death sentence. As long as you have all your unhooking tools at hand, you should find the whole unhooking operation takes less than a minute.

If you are struggling, don't panic. Take the fish in the net back to the water for a good breather. Give the fish and yourself a minute to calm down before carrying out any other procedures. Allow the fish a minute in the water for every minute you have it from the water.

Don't be scared to ask a more experienced Piker for a hand. They should gladly oblige and if asked, will show you how to cope with difficult hook-ups. Pikers love being asked for advice....it makes them feel important and necessary.

Once the fish has been cleared of all oral metalwork, lift the fish with both hands and carry it back to the water. Once in the water, use your left hand to support the head and use your right hand to hold the tail root. Don't grip the tail; just form a circle with your thumb and finger which prevents the fish from going anywhere. Pike sometimes try to pull away immediately even though they are exhausted. Just keep a slight hold on the fish until you are sure it has fully recovered. Make sure the gill flaps are working and the fish can hold itself upright. When it's definitely ready to go, you will know. Release your hold and the fish should pull away immediately. Just keep an eye on the fish until it has gone. If it's a really happy soldier you'll get a free drink when it kicks its tail.

....Andy Macfarlane.....

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Lure fishing for pike is a great way to start, I would advise getting decent unhooking tools, short and long handled Pliers and side cutters are a must also a glove if your inexperience these are a great confidence booster when handling fish and will save many nicks and cuts which can ruin a days fishing. Stay light and mobile where possible, also I think a someone here mentioned a rubberised landing net this are great and relatively cheap but a excellent investment will save hours unhooking trebles from the net mesh and a few landing nets!.

http://www.lurepro.co.uk