Trout trotting?????

ANDREW PAUL

I know I have been on this forum recently discussing steelhead fishing. But today's question relates to resident stream trout, brown, brook, and rainbows. Although I loved dry fly fishing for these trout, this year I want to experiment with lures, flies, jigs, or plastics under a float with a centrepin set up. I am curious about any advice on this subject. I have recently experimented with using small spinners under a float trotting for trout with some success. Is this a common method? All comments welcomed.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

try bread

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've attached a lure to a piece of wood by means of an elastic band and a paper clip so that I could trot it down-current beneath overhanging vegetation which made casting impossible.

A sharp tug has released the lure, and I've then worked it back beneath the overhanging vegetation in a conventional manner.

That's allowed me to put a lure where I can't cast.

I suppose that, particularly in deeper water, I could try using a float that isn't discarded, but I'd be concerned that the float coming back ahead of the lure would spook the fish.

Is that like anything that you have in mind?

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Float fishing a trolled lure is not common, however its not unknown. Charlie Bettell, a friend and pro pike guide has used similar tactics for pike. Check it out at

http://www.forumco.com/esox/default.asp

Click on 'trolling techniques'

But thats not trout and its not trotting. It is however a technique that could logically be adapted for trout.

Closer to what I think that you want to hear about, is the way that weighted nymphs are flyfished at a selected depth under a fluorescent sight bob and whilst it doesnt look like an avon or a stick float, its still a float. I've used the sight bob with nymphs on hot summer days on rivers (and stillwaters} when the trout (and me) are being lazy and need a fly permanently right on their nose. Its also an accepted way to catch grayling. The traditionalists would turn their nose up at using a sight bob, but it works. Exchange the fly rod for a float rod and the sight bob for a traditional float and nothing at the sharp end has changed.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

with bread youl empty the place and since i suspect bread isnt usually on the menu it must then be a lure :P

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

bread is an artificial lure (it doesent exist naturally) and duck fresh from the freezer a alternative to trout

As kids we used to trot bread flake at about three quarter depth on a very exclusive trout river near where I was at school. As Chesters say, trout like bread flake, and school kids liked trout! Bite indication, in the gin clear water, was when the flake disappeared, then we knew it was in a trout's mouth.

Not sure that the syndicate owners would have been too pleased had they known!

It was only after I left the school, a few years later when I was offered a rod, did I then realise that my activities were not as they should have been, whooops.

Andrew,

I really haven't fished lures for steelies but I am dead drifting files such as sucker spawn, glo bugs, Moe Eggs, and many nymphs with some good success. I would have to assume (sorry) that it is very doable (like that word?) and I would say inorder to effictively fish a plug or spoon under a float the float would need to be held back hard in order to impart anyh action on the lure. If you try it I would like to know how it goes. I hope I've given you some sound advise.

Randy

http://www.questoutdoors.net