PIKE COMPETITION

MikeyP

Hi, I'm thinking about fishing a pike open on my local Exeter Canal at the weekend. The match lasts from 8am-3pm and I think is a roving competition. What do you think would be the best way to approach it and the most productive method at this time of the year?

If you are allowed to fish two rods simultaneously, my approach would be a popped up deadbait and a lure approach. With a roving match there is going to be a lot of bankside activity. So my first deadbait cast would be across to the far bank, preferably to some feature. Then I would work the whole of the swim with the lure set up, including close to the deadbait. My first choice of lure would be a spinnerbait and it would be my inclination to leave the spinnerbait on all day rather than chopping and changing the lure. If you do want a change of lure, just to give yourself a little more interest then I would go for a Jack Pike shaped minnow style, preferably without a rattle. Most other anglers using lures will be throwing lures containing rattles and soft rubber lures. Constant casting of these lures could actually turn the Pike off.

It is my experience in these circumstances that spinnerbaits and a Pike look alike will attract the attentions of the resident big girls.

For deadbaits my choice would be for a Trout or a Pollan. These are both oily baits and are reasonably tough, allowing them to survive the rigours of recasting and swim moving.

After the initial cast I would allow it 15 minutes in one position. Rather than retrieving the bait and recasting I would draw the bait in slowly approx. 1/4 to 1/3 the width of the river. I would repeat this 15 minutes later. By drawing the bait in slowly it can trigger reluctant Pike into taking. You could also find a mid channel hole the Pike are laying up in. Working the lure will be disturbing the water enough, You could really spoil your chances with a deadbait and 2 oz of lead hitting the water regularly.

I would remain in the swim for only one hour before moving on to the next. you will gain an advantage by paring your tackle down to the bare minimum. I fix a maximum weight limit of 15kgs to my tackle packed into a light weight ruc-sac. This includes rods, reels, bait, lures terminal rigs, banksticks, landing net, Pike tube, unhooking mat, unhooking gear and pliers. For weather protection I dress warmly and carry an ex-army poncho which can be worn over my ruc-sac while carrying it on my shoulders.

Check all of your hooks the night before to ensure that they are not flawed, damaged or blunt.

Do not comprimise the Pike by allowing a few extra seconds for the take to develop. This will result in deep hooking. Strike instantly and firmly. Unhooking will be easier and quicker, allowing you extra time fishing.

This policy has stood me in good stead. I fish only one Pike match a year, and have only entered Pike 4 matches. Two of these I have won outright, one I had a section win, and the 4th I was just outside the frame.

The Canal at lyme kilns has been fishing it's head off the past two weeks, I fished it last friday had seven runs, 2 aborted, 1 threw the hooks, landed 4 fish the bigest just under twelve pounds on legered half mackerel & drifted dead Roach find the prey fish you will find the Pike.

I know of a couple of people who will be fishing the match, fished it regular in the eighties till late ninties, it's a good laugh would fish it myself but being self-employed I prefer to work weekends so I can take a few days off in the week and have the whole Canal to myself

[ 02. December 2003, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Tony C ]

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."