pike - bite indication

fisher28

Hi,

i have been reading the various threads regarding best bit indication for pike and see that most of you recommend using an open bail arm approach with a drop arm indicator. I am planning to follow suite and have been looking at the fox ones but it appears they do two different types, a cheaper one at around £11 and a more expensive one at around £15. Can anyone who uses either type recommend which ones i should go for? as far as i can see the only difference is that the more expensive one has a sliding weight but there may be more differences?

many thanks

fisher

You got two hands Fisher? and can see ok? Then save your dough for some other bit of tackle you need! Drop arms are so easy to make (and often better than shop brought ones)-

http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/artic...e-workshop.html

I see no need for adjustable weights on a Drop Off/Arm indicator! As long as its heavy enough to show a drop back/slack line bite positively than that's all what counts! Heavier the better I'm tempted to say.

Another (if not the most important) thing for good bite indication is to keep the line between the indicator and the rig as tight and as much in line as possible. That's why good pikers spread there rods out (when using multiple rods) rather than fish them on buzzer bars. And of course above all you need to be vigilant,bed chairs,bivvies and kipping don't have a place in safe piking!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Well if you want to fish two plus rods and have no visual aid other than the line, I would say monkey climbers, old fashioned, but very effective for both pick ups, runs and drop backs and low cost to boot.

In fact if you read and research this indicator method and like, let me know and I will send you a set FOC post only. I know they are in the garage somewhere and if I remember I also have the anchor bar to use with Bank sticks.

:thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Well if you want to fish two plus rods and have no visual aid other than the line, I would say monkey climbers, old fashioned, but very effective for both pick ups, runs and drop backs and low cost to boot.

I have to say that in my mind monky climbers are the poorest form of bite indication for pike you could ever use.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I use my own drop off indicators which do have adjustable weights, main reason is so that I can apply the minimum amount of pressure, so the indicator pulls free as easily as possible. But then I don't use the ball type clips, mine simply pivot free.

Plus I use a 2oz weight with free running setup and this lets me know as soon as a pike picks up the bait.

All this is with deadbaits of course.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

In fact if you read and research this indicator method and like, let me know and I will send you a set FOC post only. I know they are in the garage somewhere and if I remember I also have the anchor bar to use with Bank sticks.

:thumbs:

Thanks for the reply, i do have bite alarms but just wanted something to use in combination with them as i dont feel my bite indication is very effective at the moment. Would your monkey climbers be suitable do you think?

thanks