Reel line for Chub

Frogger

Hi guys

I Have been using braid for about a year now but thinking of going back to mono. Just wondering what reel line people are using for Chub.

I used to use 8lb Fox Soft Steel (brown specimen version not the clear match version) for alot of my river angling before I went onto braid. I found it reliable and landed a Carp over 27lb from the Hants Avon when it was bank-high a few years ago using a centrepin loaded with this mono. Is it still good stuff? Ideally I would like to go down to 6lb for the Chub but I have only seen Soft Steel brown at this braking strain on Ebay. Not sure how much trust to put into buying this from Ebay (Is it old stock?), especially as no other on-line shop seems to sell it at this breaking strain.

Anyways, any alternative suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

If you want to go down to 6lb line have a look at Daiwa Sensor or Shimano Exage.

Exage is the better line but you can pick up bulk spools of Sensor for not a lot of money so it's good value and decent stuff:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Exage-Mu...=item3a60d8d5b1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAIWA-SENSOR-BUL...=item7915e4df0e

Edited by Rob Ward

I use 6lb daiwa sensor for chubbing. It is a actually stronger than its stated breaking strain, and is quite stretchy with it. That plus a soft actioned rod of 1 1/4 - 1 1/2lb tc means you can screw up the clutch, hang on for dear life, and keep them out of the near bank snags.

This is when quivertipping though - trotting would be different.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Exage or Catana as it's known in 8lb upwards breaks at well over it's stated b/s - significantly more than any other mono on the market.

You do pay for the premium but it's very very good line and I'm surprised more Anglers aren't using it.