chest waders

Bradford Angler

Can anyone recommend a supplier for chest waders . .

they are for working parties and weed cutting in the margins . . more than the general run of the mill fishing requirements . .

A good tread and rip proof would be good, not really bothered about weight or comfort (well not too much) . . colour is not important either

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

Used to drop in at the Gates Rubber Co. shop for discount thigh waders, don't know if they do chesties, but if you contact them they may know who does:-

The Gates Rubber Company Ltd

Customer Service Department

Edinburgh Road

Dumfries DG1 1QA

Telephone: +44 1387 269 591

I no longer use neophrene waders. Whilst they have obvious benefits in cold weather, they can be a problem in high summer when you are liable to overheat, particularly if you're wearing the 5mmm stuff. I've now used breathable waders for about two years which allow the choice of wearing light or heavy undergarments according to the weather and sweat is no longer an issue. They were not particularly expensive, have suffered no damage and keep me warm or cool. They came from Fishtec in Wales. They have a website (find it on google)

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I would not recommend breatables for workinbg party activities they are not very robust relative to other traditional materials. My mate went through the cheaper models as if they were going out of fashion. Also with breathables one definately gets what one pays for in terms of longevity and puncture restistance.

Never has a problem with them Malcolm. Perhaps its because I use separate wading boots. The boot foot waders tend to go at the joint between the material and the boot.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

The biggest issue I am aware of is leakage due to constant flexing of the breathable membrane and also puncture restistance to sharp sticks thorns etc. There was a scientific study undertaken covering many brands. I am glad yours are doing you proud and long may they do so. However I would not alter my advice regarding breathables suitablity for working party type activities. Its just a risk assessment matter, not a statement that cheaper breathables will definately fail the owner in these circumstances.

it will be decided mostly by cost . . let me put it this way . . we have one pair of chest waders (look to be from around the 70'2) the only person that they fit are our baliff . . he has size 8 feet and manages to get into these 6's

if he can still feel his toes . . he will be more than likely happy to sweat

if anyone has any they do not want . . say hanging around in a shed or garage and never likely to see the light of day again . . please let me know . . cos I spent all our money on stocking (shhhhhhhh)

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !