Baitcasting Reel

Renrag39

I have an old baitcasting rod that needs a reel. Rod itself is of doubtful use (South Bend Mr Big Fish, circa 2001, 3/4oz to 3oz) but I need a reel to try it out and I'll just replace the rod in due course if I deem it necessary.

Recommend me something that'll happily chuck 15-20g up to 100g(ish) all day and won't break the bank. No price limit as yet but I'd like an idea of what you guys and laydeez believe is proven kit before I do any more research.

Second-hand is fine, left-hand wind is essential. I have quite small hands if that makes any difference. (They make my Rod look bigger, ok?)

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I have been known to have and sell the odd multiplier! you want to borrow one just to see?

That'd be very kind of you. What would you have me borrow or buy? Whatcha got? :lol:

No offence to Wilko 09 but had a grope of the Abu Max range after being told they were rubbish elsewhere and felt that while they were a good enough reel for lighter use, I think they might struggle with repeated use at the top end of my weight range.

You wouldn't have an Okuma Citrix that you want rid of would you Budgie? Had a grope of that and for the price, it felt the best the shop had.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Ive allways got plenty of ABU Ambassadeurs in mate.For what your doing I would sugest that a 5501C 3 would fit the bill. Ive got these in second hand in a variety of conditions (and therefore prices) from £50- £65.All come with my lifetime servicing/repair deal.

But like I said if you want to borrow one to try first you are more than welcome. I would agree that the ABU Max range arent up to much but the Ambassadeurs (allthough not as good as the original ones pre 1980) are still very good work horses and unquestionably the most popular among lure anglers.

Only other make I have in regularly is Shimano.I have a Cardiff in at the moment but its still awaiting parts. Im not a lover of Shimano multipliers though as they are simply (IMO) "over engineered" more than twice as many parts as an ABU and that simply means twice as much to go wrong!

To be blunt very very few other multipliers are worth bothering with.Most will only serve to put you off the whole idea!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Those South Bend rods are pretty awful, too soft in the tip for pike fishing. Best ask Budgie if he has any good rods as well!

I thought that might be the case but I'll give it a go regardless... Then I'll buy something better.

Main thing I want to find out is if I can 'deal' with a baitcaster/multi having used mainly FS all my life.

I'm sure I'll shortly start a thread like 'I've got a fantastic reel but my rod is naff', or something like that :lol:

Tbh Budgie, cosmetic condition isn't something I worry about, as long as it's mechanically sound (which you ensure, I know) I'm happy.

PM sent.

Renrag

how about this gem ,better than the abu IMHO and convertible so the kack handed can use it as well ;)

brilliant reel from the past ,all metal none of this plastic crap

can cast the lightest of spinners where the multipliers fail

got the rod it fits as well but its an abu :D

now i have the correct reel on the correct rod i can see where Newt is going right

i tried it on my ultra thin shimano spinning rod but the reel deserves metal ferrules to compliment the shine coming off it

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

how about this gem ,better than the abu IMHO and convertible so the kack handed can use it as well ;)

brilliant reel from the past ,all metal none of this plastic crap

can cast the lightest of spinners where the multipliers fail

got the rod it fits as well but its an abu :D

now i have the correct reel on the correct rod i can see where Newt is going right

i tried it on my ultra thin shimano spinning rod but the reel deserves metal ferrules to compliment the shine coming off it

Oh dear Chesters oh dear! The ultimate lack of taste! ;):D A bit like putting on top and tails with your slippers!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

so top hat and tails with slippers isn't hip any more then :unsure:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson