no pike in worcs cut

Anthony78

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no reason to lie.Despite having a thorough understanding of the effects of salt on coarse fish based on various academic qualifications what I have posted previously is based on ACTUAL experience and observation.I have seen several coastal freshwaters flooded by sea water.In each case the pike suffered the highest fatalities.I have caught Pike in the Baltic.I have also caught a Carp in the tidal side of a river (pure salt water not brackish) the fish took a bait despite being in some distress (scales starting to open and showing signs of redness)The fish was returned to the fresh side and made a full recovery.It has been seen/caught several times over the past few years.I have not but others have seen the same fish venturing into the salt water side again since.

These are unusual occurances but as such thought they would be of interest.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Any way back to the cannal at Tardebigge.Why has it always been so crap? I remember some stocking was done near to the "Engine House" stretch back in the mid-late 70's and I caught several 1 lb roach on worms whilst eel fishing during the close season.These fish soon disapeared.The lower flights adjacent to the reservoir produced catchs of Gudgeon for a feew years but these too disapeared.Despite several attempts I never caught a fish between the tunnel mouth and the "Engine House" stretch.Why?

Budgie

There's no doubt that salt tides can and do kill pike. However, surprisingly large numbers of pike are caught in estuarys in this country (by salmon netters).

Carp capture is certainly an interesting observation.

Stu,there is no doubt that gradual "aclimatisation" is no problem,the same point as I was trying to make about the Baltic Pike (not that they were physically different).A lot of coarse species seem to be able to do this over a period of time.Ask anyone who fishs the Medway for Mullet about "salt water roach"!

The fish going to the salt water as opposed to the salt water comming to the fish obviously helps.

Another interesting thing you can take an eel directly out of the sea and place it straight in to a tank of pure freshwater and it survives no problems.

Also despite my mention of sea roach,the marked decline in the roach stocks of Germanys River Wasser in the 80's was atributed to salt comming from Eastern Germany.

Salts effects on freshwater fish apear to be very contradictory.

Mick:

Mick:

My experience of this water, dating back to the mid fifties at least, is that when it was in decline and with filthy green water and fish with fin fungus swimming around, there were no Plke in it then.

Correction ..... my Grandfather used to be the BAA bailiff on the Birmingham/Worcester at Alvechurch (to the mid 60's) .... his name was Fred Hunt ... I used to stay with him every year for 2 or 3 weeks.

Then, the canal was not in decline. There was boat traffic and the fish were definitely not diseased. I certainly don't remember the water being filthy green although it has to be said it never looked really clean. Pike I don't remember (we never fished for them) but eels were plentiful. My GF used to fish for them for the pot then. The roach fishing was tremendous at Alvechurch then also.

Mick.

Correction????

I cannot comment on any aspect of Alvechurch during that era, circa 1954/55, as I was only an urchin then and didn't even know Alvechurch existed. I can comment on what the canal was like at Worcester as I saw it with my own eyes, as I fished in it.

I do not say it was devoid of fish, just that it was green, filthy and stank, with many dead and diseased fish on the top.

You mention the mid 60s I am talking 10 years prior to that, I am sure you will appreciate that a lot can happen in that time. You say there was boat traffic, well yes at that time there was at least 4 boats a week then, and some of them horse drawn at that. The boats were working boats at that time, no pleasure/holiday craft. I would imagine that the boatyard at Alvechurch was then an old wharf, but now with the onset of holiday boating on canals, traffic has become quite prolific, just think how many boatyards there are now between Alvechurch and Worcester,:-

Alvechurch

2 @ Tardebigge

2 @ Stoke Prior

Hanbury

Oddingley

Tibberton

plus who knows how many at Worcester basin.

And at least 4 of the yards build the things, so as you see things can soon change, some for the good some not so good.

The Alvechurch end of the cannal always fished well during the 70's and 80's that I do know.Hanbury Wharf area was also very good during that period.So why was the Tardebigge area so devoid of fish? Dont know about the Stoke prior area as never got around to fishing it.At this time the water quality looked no different.

I have to agreed with you Budgie. It was even fishing well in the early nineties. The best place was near the railway bridge or under it the area did produce lots of roach, perch and gugdeon.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

quote:

Originally posted by Anthony78:

So it looks like this lock keeper friend of mine is telling me a load of cobblers. Any body got any ideas as to why there are no pike in the canal so I can put my mate right next time I see him. Seeing as the canal eventually finds it's way to the river severn it's not that they just haven't been introduced. Would be very interested to find out.

thanks

ant

Why not ask your friendly local EA Region Fisheries Officer !!

DG

[ 08. May 2004, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Richard,

If I read your post right, you imply that Pike may have been removed by the E.A. or the B.W.B. but for them to be able to do that, they would have to be there in the first place. I have never heard and judging by the posters here nobody else has seen or heard of them, below Tardebigge, anyway.

I am starting to think that there may be some credence in the salinity theory, but when I think of the Pike I know to be present in the Bromsgrove/Droitwich area, excluding the canal, it makes it difficult to believe.

Could it be that the Tardebigge flight of 36 locks in a mile puts them under too much stress? I can't see that as an explanation of why there are none in the waters below though.

I well remember seeing some unfortunate fishing the flight at Upper Gambolds two days after they had been refilled, I wonder if he did catch anything?