Un-hooking mat..Sling...Scales?

Dave H

OK guys bit of a Amateur enquiry here but hey ho it's worth a chat about :D

Just seen the Nash un-hooking mat which is like a stand off the ground what do you think. the budget is getting really tight now but obviously a un-hooking mat is a big must have and for my own satisfaction sling and weighing scales. any reccommendations. Yep i know its not hard is it i hear you cry but its all fishing so why not? :D:P

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

For scales you wont go wrong with a set of Avon dial scales.The original 32lb models are often seen going cheap on Ebay and for most situations are more than enough.With second hand just check them out with a few known weights to check their acuracey over the range.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40...-All-Categories

The "Carp Cradle" type unhooking mats you describe are very good (but also as youve found very expensive!) For a lot of situations they are simply OTT.These cheaper ones are more than adequate if used correctly-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carp-Commercial-...=item2a0e40282b

Or maybe you have a carp sack from the old days you could just chuck some foam in?

Combined unhooking mat/weigh slings are meant to save on extra handling but once again very expensive and yet again no better than a correctly used basic sling and mat. A fiver once again will get you a perfectly adequate sling.

Another thing with combined mat/weigh slings is that they are very heavy and can soak up large varying amounts of water all which can give massively incorect "true" weights.

Please dont think because Im offering "cheap" solutions that I am sugesting penny pinching on an important area of tackle,Im not! Its just that the items Ive sugested (or similar) will give you just as good use as far more expensive ones in fact often better!

As for digital scales (especially in this case the cheaper ones) I would give them a wide berth! Do a search on here for the various threads where they have been discussed.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hawk,

All's well. Just my advice. My Ruben Heaton scales only go to 60. Be a little more optimistic.

(maybe digital as suggested by Madabout).

My mat and sling are the same device. I like that.

Phone