pole fishing,advice plz

ian mckay

can anyone help me out plz,

my fishing season starts soon,and this season im gonna concentrate on my pole fishing,

i was wondering if anybody can help me out,i want to know the best way to tackle my local pond,,my ponds as got roach perch rudd chubb cruchens carp and tench, so im wondering what rig and baits i should use to tackle it,,im new to the pole fishing so explain as clear as you can please

ooooooooo rrrrrrrrrr ive gotta bite

hi ian

tricky question. ask 100 anglers you will get 100 different answers and would take ages to go in to any depth. when ever i try a new venue asking the locals is always a good start as they will know what is the hot bait on the venue.your pole should be elasticated with approx size 8 elastic which is a good all rounder.line approx 3lb b.s hook size 18. generally you cant go wrong with a pint of mixed maggots then you can try different colours as you fish.plumbing the depth is a "must do" before starting. setting your float just slightly over depth is a good starting point for any beginner or to any angler trying a new venue.hope this helps. good luck?

If you want to catch the Rudd, Roach and Perch use a very slimline type float with small shot spaced out for a slow drop.

A size 4 to 6 elastic will be fine for these fish with 2 to 3 lb main line, 1.5 - 2 lb hooklength and 18 mustad maggot type hooks.

Bait - maggot or caster.

For the Crucian and Tench you need to fish on the bottom.

For the crucian a 6 elastic, 18 or 16 wide gape type hook (18 better) with a sensitive float with a long bristle dotted right down to a blimp.

Same lines as above.

Bait - bread punch/flake, small 4mm pellet, maggot/caster.

Tench, a size 8+ elastic 4lb+ mainline 3 - 4lb hooklength, 16 - 14 hooks.

A fairly chuncky type float with a thick bristle as you will be using bulk shot to get through the smaller species and bigger baits.

Bait - bread flake, pellet 4,6,8mm (maggot caster in early spring/late summer) sweetcorn, luncheon meat, paste.

Above are a rough guide, all the methods will catch all of the species at some point.

Some days you will get away with heavier rigs and others you will need to scale down to buy a bite then hook a monster that tests you to the limit.

Welcome to the world of pole fishing.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I use a system called a duel bung see here for duel bung.

If not a six elastic is a compromise.

It all depends what species you want to target.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Im a tench fan myself so i would fish near the margin lillies and weeds with strong line and high elastic. Its great fun fishing 6m out in summer when the fish are close in. Hook a tench close in on a hot day and you will know about it! BAM! and there off!

• 3 years later...
can anyone help me out plz,

my fishing season starts soon,and this season im gonna concentrate on my pole fishing,

i was wondering if anybody can help me out,i want to know the best way to tackle my local pond,,my ponds as got roach perch rudd chubb cruchens carp and tench, so im wondering what rig and baits i should use to tackle it,,im new to the pole fishing so explain as clear as you can please

When i was fishing 4 chub i cought one with me pole of the reeds with some live pinkies on a 12 hook, dont know what rig, hope this helps!

Wolfie10

!You Were Wild Once Dont Let Them Tame You!