Illegal fishing damages conservation site

Elton

The UK’s National Marine Aquarium has confirmed that the Scylla Reef, an artificial reef close to Whitsand Bay in Cornwall, has suffered significant damage following illegal fishing.

Article here:

http://www.worldfishing.net/news101/illega...servation-site2

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Wonder how the National Aquarium folk are in a position to say they 'know' licenced commercial fishermen are not responsible for it, unless they saw the net being set they have no idea who set it.

Wonder how the National Aquarium folk are in a position to say they 'know' licenced commercial fishermen are not responsible for it, unless they saw the net being set they have no idea who set it.

My guess is they don’t. When this was first publicised the news coverage said they had no idea how the net got there, this looks to be a flagrant piece of journalism particularly when saying there are pictures of a diver is seen removing a ‘RARE ?’ Ballan Wrasse from the net.

They then say they know it is not from commercial licenced fisherman quite how they can come to that conclusion I don’t know other than relying on an unsubstantiated rumour that someone saw a net being shot or by relying on the fact that no right minded fisherman would shoot the wreck with this net type.

However I can confirm that there were no surface markers attached to this net so that would make the rumour of it being shot on the wreck look a little flawed as it wouldn’t be likely that a net would be shot without a means of retrieval.

As a matter of clarity Whitsand Bay falls in the Cornwall IFCA district however Devon and Avon IFCA have been following up on the suggestion that Plymouth based boats were involved in shooting the net.

Edited by Bob Shotter
Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

Bob,

I would have thought this would never be possible either. An American 26ft boat and crew were lost - crew thought to have been tossed overboard by foul weather. This boat turned up off the coast of Spain this week fit as a fiddle for the circumstances. The boat and crew was lost in 2008.

Could this net be jetsem/ofal from say - An American fishing boat off Newfoundland 3 years ago? You suggest it is just bad press, and I believe that, but there is a net isn't there?

Phone

Bob,

I would have thought this would never be possible either. An American 26ft boat and crew were lost - crew thought to have been tossed overboard by foul weather. This boat turned up off the coast of Spain this week fit as a fiddle for the circumstances. The boat and crew was lost in 2008.

Could this net be jetsem/ofal from say - An American fishing boat off Newfoundland 3 years ago? You suggest it is just bad press, and I believe that, but there is a net isn't there?

Phone

While I’m no expert Phone this net does not look as though it has been in the sea for very long as there is not enough weed and stuff on it. Truth is there are probably thousands of bits of net floating around our sea of which this is just one.

Bob,

Thx. I suspect you're MORE than correct.

Phone

(I just reread my post. One place boat and crew "were" and in another place boat and crew "was". Hard to understand ole Phone isn't it? I think "was" is correct. I doesn't does grammer and verb tenses.)

Bob,

Thx. I suspect you're MORE than correct.

Phone

(I just reread my post. One place boat and crew "were" and in another place boat and crew "was". Hard to understand ole Phone isn't it? I think "was" is correct. I doesn't does grammer and verb tenses.)

Is it not geriatric speak because I fully understood you. :lol: