Rod Recommendations

Loudyboy

Having been lucky enough to be supplied with much of my tackle from my father in taking up this sport on my lonesome this season, I now find myself wanting to part with a little cash on a pair of rods suitable enough to fish with in the winter for Pike (deadbaiting mainly, have small spinning rod anyway), and Carp in the summer (ledger and float).

It's truely bewildering from someone in my position to seemingly make a well-founded judgement on what to buy without getting personal recommendations, hence this topic, especially given that tackle shops seem only to want you to spend more money than is neccessary and magazine editors have their hidden agendas.

I've looked at the Wychwood Rogue's and the Fox Warriers, as they seem to be the most popular choice.

I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts on these two rods, and also any other recommendations on rods (and baitrunner reels, if you have the time).

My top-end budget is around £50 per rod and £30 per reel (although, I have very little knowledge in the reel department, and am open to persuation )

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I have a Wychwood Rogue 2.75lb t.c. rod and an Okuma Dynadrag Pro reel (which I had free with a mag subscription but that can be had for about £20)and I've found them fine for casting 3-4oz weights. The Dynadrag is one of the cheapest reasonable quality baitrunner reels you can buy.

The Rogue I think is being replaced by the Rage, so prices on that should drop still further from the £50 RRP. Argos are currently doing the Rogue for £39.99 or £49.99 with a Rogue baitrunner reel.

Thanks Davy :)

Ironically, I was just browsing their site and notice the knocked-down price. Not entirely sure if the reel combo is the Wychwood reel though?

I'll check out the Dynadrag reels, thanks :)

How would you describe the action of the rod, is it quite stiff, or does it have more of a thorough through action?

The Rogue has quite a forgiving tip - it certainly couldn't be described as a poker and it's good for playing fish on.

You're right, it's not entirely clear on the Argos site if it's a Rogue reel, but it sort of implies it!

Don't think I can go wrong for £50, can I?

I might order the one combo and see how it goes, and get a second if I'm happy.

Any other suggestions, recommendations?

I've got Warriors and Rogue Power Pike rods. Both are pretty good to be perfectly honest.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I have the old style 2.75tc warriors and for what they cost me they are a dream.

They have a nice through action and bend right through to the butt.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Just a thought Darren.

Personally, although I've no experience of the Rogues, I'd rather buy good quality second hand rods than brand new budget models. I got lucky with a 'next to new' pair of Daiwa Dictators for £50 apiece. Sensational rods!

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'