The cautionary tale

Dick Dastardly

Many times over the years when reading posts about "artificial fishing" such as stocking river fish in ponds and over stocking "mud-holes" Ive been reminded of an old story I read in a fishing magazine/book.It has stuck in my mind since I read it possibly in the early 70's. Trouble is I just cant remember who wrote it (possibly Dick Orton or Peter Stone) so cant find an on line copy of it.

Basically the story in set in the future (at the time) and tells of two young anglers visiting an old boy to look at his photo albums.He has loads of great fish to his credit but no longer fishes.The young lads leave and discuss there plans to later that evening visit their local angling centre. They discuss whether to fish the pool stocked with 2lb roach or the one with the 4lb chub (all being artificially dug barren holes containing only specimens of the same species and same size in each one).

Anyone know the story and can either post a link or email me a scan of it please?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Many times over the years when reading posts about "artificial fishing" such as stocking river fish in ponds and over stocking "mud-holes" Ive been reminded of an old story I read in a fishing magazine/book.It has stuck in my mind since I read it possibly in the early 70's. Trouble is I just cant remember who wrote it (possibly Dick Orton or Peter Stone) so cant find an on line copy of it.

Basically the story in set in the future (at the time) and tells of two young anglers visiting an old boy to look at his photo albums.He has loads of great fish to his credit but no longer fishes.The young lads leave and discuss there plans to later that evening visit their local angling centre. They discuss whether to fish the pool stocked with 2lb roach or the one with the 4lb chub (all being artificially dug barren holes containing only specimens of the same species and same size in each one).

Anyone know the story and can either post a link or email me a scan of it please?

Have you looked on here...Maybe worth a bell

http://www.antiquevintagefishingtackle.co.uk/id37.html

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Jeeze Dave some of the prices of those books! Ive got quite a few of those be very interesting to see if that is the going rate or the guy is just extracting the urine! If the Burkester is looking in (he deals in collectable angling books) what do you think mate realistic or fanciful?

I know a lot of the first edition "80's" carp books fetch silly dough on a regular basis on Ebay.

Regarding the "story" though I had thought it was in an Anglers Mail Annual but after a quick skip through them (I have them all) I couldn't find it so maybe it was another "Angling" Annual I was brought for Christmas as a kid? Surely some one read it?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Sorry, Budgie, I don't remember that particular version of the story. However similar stories go back to at least the 19th century.

Although some of those prices are on the high side, many are about right.

Having said that I'm slightly out of date as I had tried to retire from bookdealing due to lack of time. However once are cottage is finished we'll have more room and I intend to restart.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• 1 month later...