Learning from line bites

The Flying Tench

In a recent post I mentioned watching tench swimming in and out of a very small area, taking it in turns to feed. There was no line and hook in the bit I could see, but further out where my bait was there were loads of bubbles, but few bites - and very few line bites, also. Seeing the tench at it, moving about in the confined area of the swim, made me realise that it's surprising there were so few line bites - and I think you could say the same thing about many other contexts, too - with both float and ledger. In my view there's only one explanation, that they could see the line quite easily, and only occasionally made the mistake of bumping into it.

So what can I learn from this? Presumably, the need to have a reasonable amount of line lying on the bottom where there's less chance of them seeing it. But that goes against the rig I was using, which, instead of a running lead, had about a ledger link of about 8 inches with 3 SSG on the end, and a tail of just over a foot - quite short because of the weed. The books recommend having a ledger link to reduce resistance when there's a bite, but it means there's less of the tail lying on the bottom. I hope that's clear; sorry, I don't have a scanner, so I can't draw what I'm saying. And a float would have even less line lying on the deck.

What do others think? Seeing those tench has pushed me back towards an old-fashioned bomb with no link. But maybe I'm missing something?

Another thought. Has anyone noticed whether using a cloud groundbait increases the number of line bites?

john clarke

On a similar vein it was once sugested that a highly visual line would spook fish less than an invisible one! The theory being that they would see and avoid bumping into the visual line but would be frightened when touched by somthing they couldnt see.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I agree with Budgie. If you are getting line bite try bringing the feeder or bomb in towards you until you are connected to the fish. eg casting bait in your normal casting spot and if line bites do occur then wind in to bring the feeder in about a feet, if lines bites still occuring then repeat the whole produre until a proper bite occur, it works everytime on my water.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

BUDGIE:

On a similar vein it was once sugested that a highly visual line would spook fish less than an invisible one! The theory being that they would see and avoid bumping into the visual line but would be frightened when touched by somthing they couldnt see.

makes sense to me,leadcore seems to b epopular choice to keep th e line out of th eway or tfg secret trap leaders.depends how much you think it affects your fishing and catch rate.ive had barbel bumping into the line,giving me wicked pulll rounds on the tip but i dont strike as there liners when whips round and carrys on going i strike!they never seem to spook of the line?

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

i do backlead when fishing for barbel but you can still get liners,i use drilled bullets fixed with float stops a couple of ssg shot pinched a a foot or so apart and 1 foot from the lead.this has worked for me many times not just for barbel either,the thing with barbel is the "hover" so to speak right close to bottom and have very large pectoral fins wich is why i think they give wonderfull line bites!they dont sit still the always moving over a baited area or rig,well thats my experiances anyway.up over it then turn drift downstream then over it again they do stop over it but still hovering left to right.with carp in winter a line bite may give away a shoal laying up,especially as they dont move much in the cold(getting less cold weather nowdays).there are ways line bites can help you catch fish,bream are a classic,-you know there in the swim all you got to do is catch them!

AKA RATTY

using a pike float for barbel ?not being funny cosmic but are you mad!? :rolleyes: serioussly mate you can catch barbel on the float but the main way is off the bottom,sometimes you dont need backleads,i wouldnt really use them in a snaggy swim,as its another object on the line to snag up more likley link leger(weak link it will break off on contact with snag) one way is to hold the rod high-,less line on the on water almost direct contact with the lead and bait.

[ 13. June 2004, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

john

these tench seem to know there envoirement well and seem quite educated wich if they are,they wil be difficult to catch,you probably dont want to fish in this way but scaled down carp tatics,or in-line maggot feeders could solve your problem,pre-baiting and night fishing also spring to mind.good luck mate!

AKA RATTY

BUDGIE:

I've seen a lot of the 'part-time' (noddies would be a little strong) anglers up my neck of the woods using fluoro line for all types of fishing, simply because there are a few really cheap brands of line circulating in Glasgow that only seem to come in this translucent, fluoroescent green colour. I've seen one or two of them doing alright with the bigger Roach, after a few helpers of course and the Roach don't seem put off by it at all. Ok, these boys might not be catching quite as many as myself and a few mates but thats really down to thier terminal tackle.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...