Change Of Hub - One Laptop Being A PITA

Elton

Changed my BT Homehub for the latest one recently. No problem - PC is hardwired in and my netbook, wife's laptop and my two phones all connected to the wireless straight away.

HOWEVER, her netbook connects to the hub with a good signal, but I get no connectivity whatsoever. i.e. I can't access the web.

I have spent hours fiddling with settings, but to no avail. Has anyone had a similar problem?

The netbook runs on XP.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

XP home or Pro?

On any laptop/netbook I know of there is a way to turn WiFi off. I've done it accidentally several times.

Will the portable connect OK via a regular network RJ-45 cable?

Depending on the answers to the above, we can start to troubleshoot your problem.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

XP home or Pro?

On any laptop/netbook I know of there is a way to turn WiFi off. I've done it accidentally several times.

Will the portable connect OK via a regular network RJ-45 cable?

Depending on the answers to the above, we can start to troubleshoot your problem.

It's XP Home and a cable still doesn't seem to do the trick. I'm sure I switched off any firewalls on it, too :(

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It's XP Home and a cable still doesn't seem to do the trick. I'm sure I switched off any firewalls on it, too :(

If cable doesn't do it I suggest you might enabled a proxy setting.

Try,

Open Internet explorer

Tools>Internet options>connections>LAN settings

You will now be in the LAN setting config window. You will see a 4 tick boxes, starting with auto detect and ending with use proxy server options. Make sure they are all un- ticked!

Close Internet explorer, reopen and test.

With done next thing to check is your ip address.

open up you network adapter settings. Under the tcp/ip settings make sure you are set to automatically set.

Check this on whichever adapter you wish to use, wired or wireless.

If they are set to auto, change to manual and input your ip settings...

Unless you fiddled chances are it will be something like 192.168.0. Something.....or 192.168.1. Something

Then 255.255.255.0

Then default gateway needs to be your router ip. Which again will be in the 192.168 range.

If you get stuck open cmd prompt on one of your other pcs and type ipconfig.

This will give you all required info, just change the ip address to another end number.

Check the laptop says connected and test.

Next test is to see if your actually connected to the wireless ok at all....can you for instance see the routers web interface via the laptop? By typing the routers ip address into the browser?

Elton - you still interested?

Cheers, guys. I'm away at the moment, so can't test this until Wednesday night/Thursday morning, but will do so and let you know. I spent ages on Friday night trying all sorts of stuff, but to no avail.

Newt - sorry, I meant to PM you before I left, but I tried your link and then followed subsequent one, as well as Googling it.

Thanks again and I'll update you as soon as I can.