An unexpected bonus!

peter mccue

Here's an interesting one chaps,

Yesterday I decided to clean the pond out. Once I'd got the level down far enough, my lad was in there like a shot with the net getting the fish out.

It had been a good spawning year & when we took the fry into the kitchen to have a good look, in amongst the expected Goldfish & Orfe were Dace & Gudgeon!!

Now the adult Dace & Gudgeon were in the pond obviously, but the logical conclusion is that they have spawned, which baffles me. :confused:

As far as I'm aware both these species spawn in running water, or does anyone know any different?

I do have an upper pond which has water running through it, so theoretically they could have done the deed there. However there is the small matter of a foot high waterfall to negotiate to get in there & frankly I'm doubtful they'd make it.

I'm chuffed to death they're in there though. :D

Any thoughts guys?

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Koi, having done a bit of digging about, I find no less an authority than Buller & Falkus agree with you.

Apparently Gudgeon do thrive & breed in some stillwaters, so maybe thats the Gudgeon query sorted. Mind my pond environment must be pretty good if the Gudgeon are happy enough to breed. :D

Still leaves the Dace puzzle though as I can find no mention of them breeding in stillwaters, however, I know there is a few stillwaters with healthy populations in them.

Wouldn't be half the fun if we had no questions would it. :D

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.