Ducks

Elton

I have a pair of ducks that regularly visit my pond. Question is, is this a good thing?

I see them munching away at what looks like the blanket weed - cool.

However, the pond is always a mess after they've been. I don't use a cover and they disturb a lot of muck.

Do you think it's a good thing that they visit, or are they likely to cause problems?

Cheers,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

you don't say what fish you have in your pond....is it just a goldfish pond? or do you have carp?.....do you have a filter? I would say if its a carp pond with a filter i'd try and keep them out, the carp put enough strain on a filter box without having to worry about duck crap too....try delia smiths website she's got some good recipes for duck :)

LOL! :D

It's got carp in, but a big pump and filter - soon clears up again.

Might check out Delia's site, though....

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton,

If your pond is there for the Carp & other fish then you have a problem. As you have already found out, the ducks will make a mess with their constant digging about, unfortunately they will also destroy any young plants that are just starting to come through.

Add to that, the constant enrichening of the pond with their guano, which will will bring algae problems should the pond ever be clear enough for the light to get through. Plus, their not adverse to a fish snack if the opportunity presents itself. Another point is surface feeding of the fish will become difficult & sinking food will encourage the Ducks to root about.

Lastly if you have natural sides to the pond, they will quickly destroy the vegetation with constant pecking & waddling in & out the pond.

You need a big pond & a very small amount of Ducks to get away with a combined fish & Duck environment.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.