French names for fish

The Flying Tench

I am going to the Vendee in the summer and was checking out a French anglers' forum to find out about local fishing, but found a few names that I couldn't find through Google. Does anyone know what the following are:

duilles

'gros becs' (a slang name?)

bars (is this the name of a fish?)

thanks

john clarke

Bar is a Sea Bass though sometimes called Loup de Mere; I would imagine 'gros becs' is a Garfish, no Idea about the other, perhaps Cory,Chris or Sportsman could advise.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I am going to the Vendee in the summer and was checking out a French anglers' forum to find out about local fishing, but found a few names that I couldn't find through Google. Does anyone know what the following are:

duilles

'gros becs' (a slang name?)

bars (is this the name of a fish?)

thanks

duilles are snap connecting tools, for example in a socket set. Maybe a bit of fishing kit?

Gros becs. At the bottom of a letter means hugs and kisses! I've also heard it used for big brochet.

Bar. Is bass, presume bars is the plurel.

If you post the website, I'll double check what the context is.

Gros becs (!)

A bientot

duilles are snap connecting tools, for example in a socket set. Maybe a bit of fishing kit?

Gros becs. At the bottom of a letter means hugs and kisses! I've also heard it used for big brochet.

Bar. Is bass, presume bars is the plurel.

If you post the website, I'll double check what the context is.

Gros becs (!)

A bientot

Thanks MiddleEastland. Here is the link

http://www.achigan.net/msgforum.php?id_sujet=2277

duilles is mentioned in the post on 25 feb at 9.57 (line 1)

In the post on 25 feb at 12.00

bec - para 3

blacks - para 6 ( I assume black bass?)

bars - para 8 (freshwater)

Thanks again

J

john clarke

The missis is French, and a french teacher when she was in France. We lived there for more than a few years.

This stuff is a bit like semi-literate textspeak!

Not a fan of the French education system and it's failings, this set her off on a rant. After 5 minutes of Daily Mail reader type moaning about the standard of education, etc, we got down to business.

Duilles. He can't spell, it should be douilles. He doesn't say what sort of fish, but they're "handsized".

Bec. I got this one wrong! Missis spoke to her dad. It's a SMALL pike!

Blacks. Yep, black bass.

Bars. Generic for bass (plurel)

Any one who moans about the British education system, sorry, the French system is a million times worse. Hence why we moved back to the UK.

I guess you've looked at the Peche 85 site.

I used this site a lot in the past.

http://www.jcpoiret.com/

A tout alors

This will be handy for me too. I'm also going to the vendee in the summer. :)

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the universe". (Albert Einstein)

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head, thats assault, not leadership". (Dwight D. Eisenhower)

"Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. Theres no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere". (Groucho marx)

If you are fishing rivers or communal lakes you will need a Carte de Peche or rod licence for the rivers, and also a Club Hautique card for the communal lakes. They can be bought at Tabacs in most towns and are for 7 days.

http://www.cartedepeche.fr/12-liste-des-cartes.htm

A lot of the lakes have black bass in them and some have sun perch, both of which will take small surface poppers. You can only night fish for carp in certain places. Check first before setting up your bivvy. Night fishing is banned in most places. Lure fishing and livebaiting are also banned at certain times of the year. Also on communal lakes there are designated fishing areas seperate from the bathing and boating areas.

Regards, Clive

The missis is French, and a french teacher when she was in France. We lived there for more than a few years.

This stuff is a bit like semi-literate textspeak!

Not a fan of the French education system and it's failings, this set her off on a rant. After 5 minutes of Daily Mail reader type moaning about the standard of education, etc, we got down to business.

Duilles. He can't spell, it should be douilles. He doesn't say what sort of fish, but they're "handsized".

Bec. I got this one wrong! Missis spoke to her dad. It's a SMALL pike!

Blacks. Yep, black bass.

Bars. Generic for bass (plurel)

Any one who moans about the British education system, sorry, the French system is a million times worse. Hence why we moved back to the UK.

I guess you've looked at the Peche 85 site.

I used this site a lot in the past.

http://www.jcpoiret.com/

A tout alors

Thanks for your help, ME. I seem to remember you were in Newbury for a while where I am?

I couldn't find the peche 85 site. I don't think it's the one you gave? Mind you my French is very limited so I'm not too good at trawling around on French sites. The forum I showed came up cos I googled in 'Lac Apremont' which isn't too far from where I am going.

john clarke

This will be handy for me too. I'm also going to the vendee in the summer. :)

Where are you going? I'm going to le pas Opton, about 3 miles inland from St Gilles.

Incidently there are one or two previous threads if you use the AN search and put in 'Vendee' for both the coarse and sea forums.

john clarke

Where are you going? I'm going to le pas Opton, about 3 miles inland from St Gilles.

Incidently there are one or two previous threads if you use the AN search and put in 'Vendee' for both the coarse and sea forums.

Yep, was in Newbury, then Bordeaux, now Wantage, but working in Newbury. You can also throw Barcelona, Leverkusen, Brittany into the mix as previous homes. The missis' family are from Brittany.

Every Depatment and Region has their own official peche website, with the regulations, permits, tips, boncoin(loosely means a good fishing spot), links, etc. http://www.federation-peche-vendee.fr/

Most communes will have a plan d'eau, get a ticket from the Mairie. Check opening times!

Rivers are free where you can reach the water. Lakes are free, if a stream flows in and out of the lake. You can cross private land to reach the lake or river, and 1.5m from the water's edge is public land. (I sometimes wonder if the Brit carp lake owners realise this!). You can take the fish for the pot, as many as you want. There are exceptions but in the Vendee they won't worry you.

The police de chasse are armed, have zero sense of humour and a massive sense of their own importance. Buy a permit, they are expensive, but do it!

Bait. Astracots are maggots, available in hypermarket. Very expensive, seems like you get 10 maggots for 1EUR!

Bread, sweetcorn, and any other supermarket bait will catch. I aways caught well on the big L'Isle and Dordodge rivers on

bread, and sweetcorn. Poisson Chats, barbel, carp, chub. Big feeder, near any type of feature you can find. The French canalised all their lower rivers to death, so look for any type of feature whatsoever.

Best fish was a 55lb carp from the Dordogne, on stale croissant groundbait, and bread on the hook.

We also have a holiday home in Creuse. Where the fishing is wild river trout and predators in the lakes.