SMALL HOOK

wefish

That sounds like matching the hook size to the species, rather than matching the hook type to the bait, which is a point I really should have clarified.

When I mentioned catching big brownies on Kamasans, they are for essentially specimen hooks for small baits, rather than small fish. So, it is quite possible land a big fish on a 20 but one 20 is quite different from another.

I might use size 20s for roach too but I'm hardly going to fish on the drop with a big fat, eyed Kamasan. I could try but that would just be silly.

So, hook sizes have little or nothing to do with the species in hand. The wire itself and the composition if the hook is probably of more importance.

they do not understand that the smaller hooks are as strong or probably stronger than bigger hooks.

As much as rarely ever disagree with your ideas Rudd, that probably isn't really true. I think I could happily open smaller sizes of pretty any hook.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy,

I agree with Rudd. Same stock number in different sizes is the same wire. Smaller hooks are harder to open than large ones if the same wire is used.

That's only true "apples to apples". If you change stock number the wire size may change also.

Disclaimer: true of Mustad, Eagle Claw, and other like major manufacturers. Not sure about smaller re-packed brands.

Phone

Dont get why no confidence?

I would of thought but am sure I will be told otherwise :rolleyes: :

As hooks go down in size the gape, shank etc decreases BUT the wire diameter stays the same - therefore there is less hook to open up making smaller hooks stronger than the same pattern in larger sizes. :o

The trouble is than for some reason the majority of anglers REDUCE their hook length breaking strain or diameter when going down in hook size as they do not understand that the smaller hooks are as strong or probably stronger than bigger hooks.

I have size 20 heavy wire hooks tied to 7lb hooklengths for use with the method when dead maggots are the chosen bait.

That's fine on the lead, but with on the drop tactics with small, light baits surely they act more naturally on a more supple hooklength, and so attract more bites?

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Andy,

I agree with Rudd. Same stock number in different sizes is the same wire. Smaller hooks are harder to open than large ones if the same wire is used.

That's only true "apples to apples". If you change stock number the wire size may change also.

Disclaimer: true of Mustad, Eagle Claw, and other like major manufacturers. Not sure about smaller re-packed brands.

Phone

Ah but that's the bit isn't it. How many hooks are made with the same wire? I'm pretty sure not that many any more.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

A bit rum; I cannot remember (It's me age...)! But I had a 13.5 lb carp on an 18, and my best two fish on a 22 were a 3lb 6oz chub and a 3:12 bream.

An old glass rod that creaks in the corks at a one-pound pull can be a big help!

As can hooking the chub in the pit of winter when most of the snags have mouldered away.

Actually, at least one of the latter pair may have been on a 24; why else would a bream stick in my memory so?

Balanced gear, soft hands, shy fish, spheroids of gold or brass, brown corduroy trousers and a stiff slice of luck...

That's fine on the lead, but with on the drop tactics with small, light baits surely they act more naturally on a more supple hooklength, and so attract more bites?

True - but then you would be using a balanced outfit.

If not balanced something will give - usually hooklength / mainline where a shot has been pinched on / knot / hook bending out - in that order.

It is amazing how much pressure you can put on with a balanced outfit the whole set up acts like a big elastic band.

Its very hard to open up a hook in the vast majority of situations.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

That sounds like matching the hook size to the species, rather than matching the hook type to the bait, which is a point I really should have clarified.

When I mentioned catching big brownies on Kamasans, they are for essentially specimen hooks for small baits, rather than small fish. So, it is quite possible land a big fish on a 20 but one 20 is quite different from another.

I might use size 20s for roach too but I'm hardly going to fish on the drop with a big fat, eyed Kamasan. I could try but that would just be silly.

So, hook sizes have little or nothing to do with the species in hand. The wire itself and the composition if the hook is probably of more importance.

As much as rarely ever disagree with your ideas Rudd, that probably isn't really true. I think I could happily open smaller sizes of pretty any hook.

Very well put Andy, try putting a bloodworm on a size 14 hook, I use hooks down to 28 although usually only down to 26's these days, unless I have my good glasses with me. ...hehehe...

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God